More Feeder Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

I was wondering if I can allow more than 2% voltage drop on a feeder, when my sub-panels are near the loads. I was thinking to have 3% voltage drop at the feeder and less than 2% on the branch circuits. Any thoughts?

kwired

Electron manager
Unless you have local rules, the 2 and 3% values mentioned in NEC are just suggestions in an informational note and not a code requirement.

Electriman

Unless you have local rules, the 2 and 3% values mentioned in NEC are just suggestions in an informational note and not a code requirement.

Is it a code requirement to keep the voltage drop less than 5%? I think NEC has recommended it but IECC has mandated that, am I right?

kwired

Electron manager
Is it a code requirement to keep the voltage drop less than 5%? I think NEC has recommended it but IECC has mandated that, am I right?
NEC by itself has no mandate as a general rule. Maybe some special cases in chapters 5,6,7 but no general rule on VD just an informational note with a suggestion.

As mentioned you could have other codes that may look at VD, in particular energy codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.