Most Common Electrical Accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

What are the top 5 most common electrical accidents in the premises wiring world for <=600V?

What are the top 5 most common electrical accidents for 600>4160V?

What are the top 5 most common electrical accidents for 4160V>230KV?

tryinghard

Actually I am serious I was hoping to get some good feed back with these questions; I would like to share these with a safety group I?m in.

zog

Actually I am serious I was hoping to get some good feed back with these questions; I would like to share these with a safety group I?m in.

www.osha.gov and www.bls.gov is where you can find those answers, little research on your own will teach you more than you will get from me just posting the answer, not to mention accident statistics are a little more copmplicated than that. What years, where?, what type of industry?, just electricians or all workers?

nakulak

and the number one electrical accident is:

a person accidently becoming a conductor or semiconductor

ohmhead

Well not to sound like a old time electrician but here is the years what ive seen as a helper thur the years to a electrician only commercial work from 600 to 15 kv .

26 Yrs one electrical company = fatality = 2

= shocked = 15 guess ?

10 Yrs floating around with other electrical contractors in usa and overseas =

fatality= 3

shocked = 6 guess ?

Now the shocked totals was just what i can remember its not accurate but the fatality i will never forget its very accurate .
How the fatal happened to sum it up arch flash one 15kv = 1
direct electrocution phase to phase 480 volts = 1
direct electrocution phase to ground 277volts = 3

How the shocked happened to sum it working hot not being safe !

These were all electricians in the trade not just a common worker on a construction site .

wireguru

a common one seems to be arc flash from installing a breaker in an energized panel. Either from a tool shorting the bus or from pushing while screwing the breaker in and overlapping bus bars shorting due to compromised insulation.

wawireguy

The most common reason I see people getting shocked is that their supervisor tells them the cirucuit is dead and they believe them.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The most common reason I see people getting shocked is that their supervisor tells them the cirucuit is dead and they believe them.
well how about getting a good jolt because someone backfed a New service I was working on and this new service did not even have the riser connected to the POCO. The guy backfed a small load center inside from a temp power box bypassing the GFI protection.
I was almost a dead man. I was still bolting the buss bars in the new standing section. I almost killed the guy who did that.
Been on my own calling the shots ever since!

tryinghard

Some of the information can be found in the document "Trends in Electrical Injury in the U.S., 1992-2002" . That is the most recent compilation of data I have been able to find online. I got my copy from the NIOSH web site at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/pubs/pubreference/outputid2707.htm . If anyone has more recent data, I'd be interested in a link.

TxEngr

Wow this summery doesn't even mention arc flash. I'm going to download the file and read this though. Thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.