Motion Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone tell me if they make outside motion detector lights that do not come on and stay on during power failure or lightning. I seem to come across many that stay on after these instances and the only way to reset them is to temporarily shut off the power to them. Try to explain to your customers this process.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mountaineer said:
Could anyone tell me if they make outside motion detector lights that do not come on and stay on during power failure or lightning. I seem to come across many that stay on after these instances and the only way to reset them is to temporarily shut off the power to them. Try to explain to your customers this process.

I believe you mean they come on after the power is restored. Is that correct? I have seen some units that come on when you energize the circuit and then go off after the designated time but that was years ago. All the new ones we used I have not had that issue. But then again I usually have a switch on them so it may not even be much of an issue for the HO.

barbeer

I believe they are made that way on purpose so you can switch off then on and they stay on and override the motion and photo. If you switch them again it clears it.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
barbeer said:
I believe they are made that way on purpose so you can switch off then on and they stay on and override the motion and photo. If you switch them again it clears it.....

They are made like that but the switch would have to be on and then the power outage must be just for a second or so. I believe if the power is off for awhile that function of the unit will not work.

480sparky

That's my understanding as well. If the power is only off for a second or two, the MS interprets that as turning the switch off, then on.

If the power is off for any longer, the unit should stay off.

Motion Detector...again

Motion Detector...again

I must clarify that I did not install a switch before the motion detectors. They were hardwired. Are you telling me that the new detectors on the market do not have this problem? I am new to this web site and this was my first post. Thank you guys for all of your responses.

Motion Detector...again

Motion Detector...again

I must clarify that I did not install a switch before the motion detectors. They were hardwired. Are you telling me that the new detectors on the market do not have this problem? I am new to this web site and this was my first post. Thank you guys for all of your responses.

mdshunk

I hate outdoor motion sensors. They're a recipe for sure call-backs, and I hate call-backs. For what it's worth, I think RAB makes the finest motion sensors for outdoor use. They suck the least of all that I've used. Their 'Stealth' motion sensor seems to have the latest generation technology, and is pretty decent. I think RAB invented motion sensors for lighting, if I'm not mistaken.

Motion Detector Reply

Motion Detector Reply

:smile: I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer this. I have a small electrical contracting business that I do on the side...legally. I have been in the trade for over 25 years but for the past 10 I have been working as a maintenance electrician for a college. I am a little out of the loop with most of the latest products somewhat. I have a job to install some motion detectors for a homeowner and I am hesitant to do so because of call backs as most of you know. They can be a pain in the rear. The motion detector I was previously discussing was on my garage installed a few years back. I had one of those touch lamps in my foyer that used to come on in my last home after a bad lightning storm. Crazy stuff. Maybe I have just touched too many hot wires and am glowing!!! LOL Thanks again guys. I am blessed enough to have the next week off. Talk to you after New Year's. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Motion Detector

Motion Detector

I agree. It seems that now days everything has to be programmed and only to get worse for us old timers. When I went through electrical vocational school in the early 80'S electronics and electricity didn't have much of a relationship. They both now go hand in hand. Programming is everywhere so I have been doing some catching-up. Programming and passwords to remember...it hurts the head.

Motion Detector (follow-up)

Motion Detector (follow-up)

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I took the advise one of you guys gave me and used the RAB detectors for my installations. They seem to be working well. The switch installed ahead of them helps to reset them during voltage drops etc. That is why my old personal detectors were staying on after a storm. The switch allows you to also manually turn them on. Mine were old and I of course through the manufacturers info away. Stay safe. "Hows Bout Them WVU EERS"

Status
Not open for further replies.