Motor Combination Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi,

I've been reading NEC motor section and came to a conclusion that if a motor has a separate overload relay, the motor doesn't need to be protected by a thermal magnetic breaker. Magnetic circuit protector can be used to protect wiring and provide short circuit protection for this configuration.

Am I right here?

Thanks,
EE

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi,

I've been reading NEC motor section and came to a conclusion that if a motor has a separate overload relay, the motor doesn't need to be protected by a thermal magnetic breaker. Magnetic circuit protector can be used to protect wiring and provide short circuit protection for this configuration.

Am I right here?

Thanks,
EE

Yes, if it is a factory assembled combination motor starter. You can not field build this.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your Code reference is 430.109
(4) Instantaneous Trip Circuit Breaker. An instantaneous trip circuit breaker that is part of a listed combination motor controller.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In reality there are lots of thermal mag breakers out there now with adjustable mag trips and the cost is basically the same as a mag-only breaker, so there is no reason not to just use them. Mag-only breakers are only cheaper in high volume, like for the factory combo starters.

victor.cherkashi

Don't forget, most of manufacturers label their equipment with MOP. According to NEC you must follow manufacturers instructions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.