motor connection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
chris kennedy said:
Not very cost effective IMO.

by the time you screw around with plugging the existing hole and drilliong another one, or using a sheet metal washer that will vibrate loose, you might as well do it with the right piece of equipment.

a 2" hub is only about $10 with a reducing bushing.

you could spend $10 in labor walking out to the truck to get the hole saw.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
georgestolz said:
At the moment, I have to walk a block from my car to the jobsite, and I still think that is a somewhat excessive figure, Bob. :D

Not by much. Most people walk 2-3 miles per hour, or about 220 feet per minute. Electricians cost about $1.50 per minute. By the time someone walks a block to their truck, looks for a drill and hole saw and comes back, it is not unreasonable to think it could have taken them 6 or 7 minutes.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
cost

cost

You left out the other factors.....
cigarrette/coffee break, chat with buddy you pass, examine the items you found while getting the saw (the ones you could't find yesterday), eat that 2nd twinkie left from the last trip............
15 minutes minimum

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:
Really?

I think your using an old price guide.

I got curious and called my supply house this morning. Ironically, the hub is $12.62 and the bushing $13.29.

Most of the time when I quote this kind of stuff I have been assuming the reducing bushings are a buck or two and just throw them in the misc expense pile. I may have to reconsider that approach.

Well let's see the cost to the company. 6"x6" 1/6 piece of shim stock - $0.00 (it was left over from construction) 4 - 1"x1/4x20 bolts $0.21, 4 - 1/4x20 nuts $.06, 4 - spring lock washers $.05 and the time it took for me to drill the 4 holes on the plate and bottom of the peckerhead, drill a hole for the connecter and mount the plate $0.00 (I was on the clock and getting paid even if I sat on my behind reading these posts) Total the company had to pay for this part of the project $.32. Lost time to smoke (YUCK), BS, eat twinkies (yuck) 0 hours (I don't smoke, I'm there by myself and I hate twinkies) Loss of profit for me...$0.00, I am employed by the company and I get paid for being there, not for each project I do. So if I am there for my 12 hours and I only take readings on the equipment or I bust my butt and work my tail off, I still get paid for the same 12 hours

Luketrician

flounderhead59 said:
I am employed by the company and I get paid for being there, not for each project I do. So if I am there for my 12 hours and I only take readings on the equipment or I bust my butt and work my tail off, I still get paid for the same 12 hours

That's how it is here. Different than working in construction and getting paid only if you are working. My hat's off to you guys!

I'm not construction. I work in a private utility power plant as an operator. We are installing a DIY project to keep from having to hire outside contractors to keep the costs down.

We got the wire from McMaster-Carr, their part number is 7125K475, which is described as Single-Conductor Building Wire (THHN) Stranded, 8 AWG, .213" OD, 600 VAC, Brown. It also says in the characteristics, the temperature Range is -13? to +194? F (-25? to +90? C), is 55 amps and meets NEC and UL specifications. Not sure what book you are referring to (NEC ?), but as we are not subject to the NEC (as per my supervisor and his supervisors above him) I was just going by, 1: the manufacturer description and 2: other recommendations from licensed electricians from E.T.E.'s Toolbox Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.