Motor electrical hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnh3375

Occupation
Maintenance manager
I have a 460v 3 phase 60 hp motor. I have a #4 starter and #3 wire for hookup. I need to know what size breaker to use. All the info I have found indicates a 200 amp breaker. Is this correct?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Ahhhh for the good old days of suppliers giving out free “slide charts” for motor starters. They told you everything you needed to know; starter sizes, breakers, fuses, conductor sizes, heater element selection etc. You youngsters have to struggle now to find that info or buy an old slide chart on ePay or Amazonk.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ahhhh for the good old days of suppliers giving out free “slide charts” for motor starters. They told you everything you needed to know; starter sizes, breakers, fuses, conductor sizes, heater element selection etc. You youngsters have to struggle now to find that info or buy an old slide chart on ePay or Amazonk.
I may have part of my retirement laying around in various file drawers.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
When I instructed classes on Art 430 I bought the slide rule charts in bulk from American slide rule company. On eBay they are $$. I had many from different code cycles, what’s nice is the Art 430 tables have not changed

Last edited:

Johnh3375

Occupation
Maintenance manager
All the electricians I have had bid on this job wanted to use a 80 amp breaker. One even refused to do the job because I didn't agree with him and sent him the appropriate section of code 430.52

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
This one’s a 1990 vintage. Made sure I got it out of the truck before I turned it in last week!

Attachments

• 10395B6D-A9D1-4DED-A712-41DD03AFC330.jpeg
    10395B6D-A9D1-4DED-A712-41DD03AFC330.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.