motor fuel dispensing facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

usarmt

I got a Canopy with 2 fuel dispensers. I have 4 each colums and they are calling for exposion proof boxes for GFCI quads on colums @ 60 inches above finish grade, do I have to use expl. boxes ?
It also calls for explosion proof switch box for dock lights on colums do they have to be expl. boxes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They would only be required to be explosion proof if they are installed in the classified area. Take a look at figure 514.3. If they are not in the area, then you will need a conduit seal at the boundary location, but will not need explosion proof boxes.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
usarmt said:
I got a Canopy with 2 fuel dispensers. I have 4 each colums and they are calling for exposion proof boxes for GFCI quads on colums @ 60 inches above finish grade, do I have to use expl. boxes ?
It also calls for explosion proof switch box for dock lights on colums do they have to be expl. boxes.

Who is they? Is this in the spec? Nothing in the code says you can't use an XP box in an unclassifed area.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Since we don?t have the entire layout to look at, I would like to add some considerations beyond Don?s. There are particular requirements for wiring and equipment above Class I locations where Article 514 is involved. See Section 514.7 which ultimately leads to 511.7. Subsection 511.7(B)(1)(b) is particularly relevant with respect to the luminares. These are not general Article 501 requirements.

Bob?s (petersonra) point is also well taken. If these were simply the designer?s specifications, there is nothing that would prohibit the use of Class I equipment if it were otherwise suitable for the location. That is, it may also need to be suitable for outdoor locations. In absence of the full layout, who knows?

sgunsel

Any conduit passing under the classified areas, Div 1 or 2 which extend for 20 feet from a dispenser, are considered to be in a Class I, Div 1 location and must be sealed where they emerge from the ground or concrete (see areticle 514). It MAY be a Div 2 location depending on the type and location of the nearest dispenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.