Motor "Peckerhead" Orientation

DannyT.

Occupation
Service Tech
I have a motor that is flange Mounted on to the fan with the peckerhead at the 6 o'clock position. I know NEMA F1 and F2 indicate they should be on the left or right hand side but that is only for floor mounted motors. Is the 6 o'clock position for the peackerhead a code violation?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I never thought that the peckerhead position really mattered at least according to the NEC. They can usually be flipped 180°.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
But please refer to the NCS (nature of common sense manual) in these instances and put the peckerhead in a postion that's easy for us to get to the wiring. :)

JAP>

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can always drill your own KO if needed. Since the factory KO is typically 4X larger than needed it may be easier to just make your own KO and seal up the factory one. Also I'm not a big fan of reducing washers on vibrating equipment.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You can always drill your own KO if needed. Since the factory KO is typically 4X larger than needed it may be easier to just make your own KO and seal up the factory one. Also I'm not a big fan of reducing washers on vibrating equipment.

I'm not a fan of reducing washers period.

JAP>