Motor Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
I have a NEMA chart of standard motor ratings. The maximum is 100,000 hp.

Anyone ever seen a 100,000 hp motor?

Maybe that was what I was doing at the South Pole. Connecting a drive motor for rotating the earth. :D

bphgravity

Re: Motor Ratings

WOW!!! The code seems to stop at 500 HP which is quite big. What is the F.L.C. of that motor, and imagine what the Instantaneous Trip breaker size would be!!!! :eek: :eek:

bennie

Esteemed Member

Starting this motor, should stop every street car in the world, and cause the sun to dim. :eek:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The biggest one that I have ever seen was a 17,000 hp in a refinery. It had its own 33kV substation from the utility and the utility required 30 minute notice prior to the motor being started or stopped. The biggest one I ever worked on was a 2500 hp, 5kV for a rock crusher in a cement plant.
Don

hurk27

I havent ever seen one but a quick search with web-ferret turned up this one:

REVERSIBLE PUMP-TURBINE (1956)
HIWASSEE DAM UNIT 2

July 14, 1981
Murphy, North Carolina

Allis-Chalmers Awarded Contract to Build World?s
Largest Electric Motor and Reversible Pump-Turbine

Motor Rated 102,000 hp The electrical motor-generator is equally imposing. As a motor it will be the world?s largest, rated 102,000 horsepower 106 revolutions per minute. It is approximately 50 percent larger than the motors driving the Grand Coulee pumps. As a generator it is rated 70,000 kva, 13,800 volts.

more can be read about it here:
http://www.asme.org/history/brochures/H067.pdf

jmc

I believe the largest motor in the USA is at Langley Air Base where they have the largest wind tunnel in the world, if I remember correctly, they have a 2000 HP motor to get the main wind tunnel motor up and running before it is energized. I don't remember the HP for the main drive motor, probably in the 100,000HP range.

Status
Not open for further replies.