Motor Vehicles in Class I Div 2 Area...Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesR

Consider this thread a continuation of http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=76096

I'm not sure if there was a definite conclusion to mentioned thread - perhaps it was "the NEC, NFPA 497, API 500, etc. are not intended to to provide any insight as to if a 'motor vehicle' is safe for use in a hazardous location, however documentation associated with a hazardous location is often used to make this judgement anyway."

I thought it was odd that no one mentioned NFPA 505 in that thread. It appears that this code (NFPA 505) applies to several types of 'motor vehicles' and their acceptability for use in hazardous locations. I'm guessing that tariqalauddin was asking about 'automotive vehicles for highway use' as opposed to something like a forklift, though.

Some questions:

The original thread is 7 years old; since that time has an NFPA code (or other US standard) been developed the dictates the use of 'automotive vehicles for highway use' in hazardous locations. If yes, what is it?

If not, is it considered acceptable to use a highway truck in, for example, a Class I Division 2 location? Should this only be done with a Hot Work Permit?

Why were the creators of NFPA 505 so lazy as to exclude 'automotive vehicles for highway use'? I'm referring to NFPA 505 1.1.2.

Thank you,
Wes

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'll stick with my original answer. NFPA 505 doesn't apply to 'automotive vehicles for highway use.' [NFPA 505.1.1.1]

I wish various NFPA Tech committees would stop stepping on CMP14's toes. I acknowledge the NFPA 505 Chair is a member of CMP14. It appears he was successful in preventing a wholesale requirement for listing vehicles within the scope of NFPA 505 in Chapter 4 when it was rewritten.

Consider this thread a continuation of http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=76096

I'm not sure if there was a definite conclusion to mentioned thread - perhaps it was "the NEC, NFPA 497, API 500, etc. are not intended to to provide any insight as to if a 'motor vehicle' is safe for use in a hazardous location, however documentation associated with a hazardous location is often used to make this judgement anyway."

I thought it was odd that no one mentioned NFPA 505 in that thread. It appears that this code (NFPA 505) applies to several types of 'motor vehicles' and their acceptability for use in hazardous locations. I'm guessing that tariqalauddin was asking about 'automotive vehicles for highway use' as opposed to something like a forklift, though.

Some questions:

The original thread is 7 years old; since that time has an NFPA code (or other US standard) been developed the dictates the use of 'automotive vehicles for highway use' in hazardous locations. If yes, what is it?

If not, is it considered acceptable to use a highway truck in, for example, a Class I Division 2 location? Should this only be done with a Hot Work Permit?

Why were the creators of NFPA 505 so lazy as to exclude 'automotive vehicles for highway use'? I'm referring to NFPA 505 1.1.2.

Thank you,
Wes

Lazy? I prefer that my dentist do not attempt brain surgery, even though he is working in the area.....

Status
Not open for further replies.