Motors and MWBCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

I was having a discussion with my new boss, and he was telling me that it was wrong to put 2 motors on a MWBC, due to overloading of the neutral.
I hadn't ever heard this, so I decided to run it by you guys.

This would be a residential application. For instance, 2 outlets for window A/C units, each on its own circuit, fed with a MWBC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
JohnJ0906 said:
I was having a discussion with my new boss, and he was telling me that it was wrong to put 2 motors on a MWBC, due to overloading of the neutral.
I hadn't ever heard this, so I decided to run it by you guys.

This would be a residential application. For instance, 2 outlets for window A/C units, each on its own circuit, fed with a MWBC.

I am not sure why a motor would make a difference. If one motor draws 10 amp and the other 12 amps the ungrounded conductor would only draw 2 amps.

I see refrigerators and dw on the same MWBC as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
He is mistaken.

Short, concise and to the point. I agree with Bob, unless you somehow had the ungrounded conductors on the same phase sharing a neutral.

JohnJ0906

stickboy1375 said:
Nows your chance to show him how smart you are... :grin:

mivey said:
Don't forget to point out how dumb he is.:grin:

Well, so much for showing this thread to him......:roll:

Actually, in our discussion, I think he was trained originally by one of the anti-MWBC people. He gave most of the same reasons against them as we hear from the members we have here that don't like them.

mivey

JohnJ0906 said:
Well, so much for showing this thread to him......:roll:.
Hey! Bossman!

We know you are not really dumb, we were just joking around to keep discussions from getting so dry. The same goes for your employee, we were just joking...no wait, he really is smart because he thought something about the statement you made about motors & MWBC sounded fishy.

How about the two of you sitting down and talking throught the reasons why what you were initially thinking was wrong. Perhaps it was just something you heard from somebody else and you just need to think it through. It would be a good lesson to get this clear in your minds so y'all can explain it to others. Let us know if we can help.

All better now JohnJ?:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.