Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

memyselfandI

Question: I have a 1/2 HP 480V 3PH motor for a garage door with contoller. The motor has overload protection. I need to feed this motor from an existing 30A 3PH 480 circuit that is available. After doing all my calcs I came to the conclusion that my BC,SC, and GF protection has to be fuses which are set at a value of not more that 2 amps. However 2 amps is not a standard fuse size and I must go up to 3 amp. No data on the controller, only what is on the motor. Is this correct and if not what and where am I doing wrong?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If the Mfg. lists or Motor nameplate shows max BC, SC, or GF less than 3A, you can't exceed it per 430-52(C)(2). You would be left with 430-52(C) Exception 2, and purchasing an instantaneous-trip 15A CB for use with a listed combo controller that coordinates overload and fault protection.

If start-up current was not an issue, (ie) soft starter or VSD, you're allowed up to 3.3A fuses for that motor. Look at table 430.52, see the 300% FLC value for non-time delay fuses.

If the 10A start-up current is an issue, (ie) table 430.151B, you can use a duel element, time-delay fuse at 225% FLC of Tbl. 430.150. Not sure if you're allowed the next higher STD ampere rating (ie) 2.5 to 3A. See 430.52(C) Exception 1 & 2b.

davidr43229

While a 2 amp fuse is manufactured in a Class J, CC, RK-1 & RK-5, The Bussmann SPD says to go to a 3 amp, providing you have an FLA of 1.1 amps.
Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.