Mounting a meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkysparks

Do i have to use round head machine screws to mount a 200A dual dwelling meter socket
The multi family dwelling has four layers or cedar shingles a layer of blueboard foam then vinyl siding
A co worker swears i cannot use a 1/4"shaft by 3" bugle head wood screws. he says that i have to use round head machine screws or its against code i cant find a specific article reference to support or discredit his statement.
The screws i used were heavy gauge stainless. Basically a phillips version of a lag bolt. No chance of shearing or corroding in my opinion, barring an act of the almighty or a bulldozer.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Many POCO's have their own minimum hardware requirements.

I've had a poco request I use machine screws to mount a meter to the side of a ct cabinet rather than self drillers so there wasn't a cut risk to the meter tech. But that's totally different. Have you really heard of a poco having instructions on how to mount electrical equipment to the side of a building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
Being a fellow MA guy as the OP I suspect it has more to do with many inspectors here not allowing typical drywall screws to be used outdoors to mount equipment.

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use
of Equipment.

(A) Examination. In judging equipment, considerations
such as the following shall be evaluated:

(2) Mechanical strength and durability, including, for parts
designed to enclose and protect other equipment, the
adequacy of the protection thus provided

To the OP, I suggest swinging by Lowe's and getting a handful of 1/4" x 3" lags or even some 3" x 10 pan head sheetmetal screws to keep with you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Being a fellow MA guy as the OP I suspect it has more to do with many inspectors here not allowing typical drywall screws to be used outdoors to mount equipment.

Many POCO's require installations to follow the NEC so using Sheetrock screws wouldn't be acceptable under the code section that you've posted to either the local inspector or the POCO inspector. POCO's may also have requirements for stainless steel hardware, Belleville washers and other goodies. :)

iwire

Staff member
Many POCO's require installations to follow the NEC so using Sheetrock screws wouldn't be acceptable under the code section that you've posted to either the local inspector or the POCO inspector. POCO's may also have requirements for stainless steel hardware, Belleville washers and other goodies. :)

In my area meter sockets are kind of weird spot.

The EC has to buy the socket from a supply house and install it in the location the power company requests. Of course the power company seals the meter but the customer owns socket and the upkeep of it.

So basically we have to follow both the NEC and the POCO.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In my area meter sockets are kind of weird spot.

The EC has to buy the socket from a supply house and install it in the location the power company requests. Of course the power company seals the meter but the customer owns socket and the upkeep of it.

So basically we have to follow both the NEC and the POCO.

Pretty typical around here too.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've had a poco request I use machine screws to mount a meter to the side of a ct cabinet rather than self drillers so there wasn't a cut risk to the meter tech. But that's totally different. Have you really heard of a poco having instructions on how to mount electrical equipment to the side of a building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no. If there is no building our poco requires HD gavl strut and a concrete pad in front.

Cavie

Back in the day, we used to shoot concrete studs thru the cans into the block wall. FPL put a stop to that practice as the studs were warping the cans because the electricians did not use the manufactured mounting holes. Other than that, all that's required is no drywall screws.

Steve Sink

Some power companies care and some don't. I never actually had anyone ask that question. As long as it was secure I never said anything. I have seen them mounted to concrete with powder actuated fasteners before.

Status
Not open for further replies.