moving an existing panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

highendtron

I was asked to relocate an existing 200 amp panel from one end of a commercial building to a new location 25' away. All of the branch circuits in the old panel were romex. I placed two junction boxes to pick up the branch circuits and rerouted the old romex runs to the boxes and new panel. I put any new circuit in conduit. I am troubled by the fact that other than the conduit I have run, nothing seems right about this particular job. There must be miles of romex and this is an old building. I told the owner that the romex should be torn out and he laughed at me and said it cost him too much to have it put in....I really don't want to be on the hook if this place burns down...any thoughts

highendtron said:
I was asked to relocate an existing 200 amp panel from one end of a commercial building to a new location 25' away. All of the branch circuits in the old panel were romex. I placed two junction boxes to pick up the branch circuits and rerouted the old romex runs to the boxes and new panel. I put any new circuit in conduit. I am troubled by the fact that other than the conduit I have run, nothing seems right about this particular job. There must be miles of romex and this is an old building. I told the owner that the romex should be torn out and he laughed at me and said it cost him too much to have it put in....I really don't want to be on the hook if this place burns down...any thoughts

I suppose its too late to walk away from this mess??

There are a gazillion (spelling?) jobs out there with NM cable as the wiring method. I am sure that most of them are still very viable.
What is the issue with the NM??

I am wondering what you may have for the number of current carrying conductors in the raceways you installed?
2 Junction boxes? Again, how many conductors? What size boxes?

Those would be my concerns.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
NM is a perfectly acceptable means of wiring. It meets code for many applications and has a very long history of safety, convenience, and cost effectiveness. What more could you ask for?

Krim

petersonra said:
NM is a perfectly acceptable means of wiring. It meets code for many applications and has a very long history of safety, convenience, and cost effectiveness. What more could you ask for?

Kevlar threading to prevent nicks to the underlying conductors !

Carl :rolleyes:

highendtron

problem with romex

problem with romex

I installed two 12x12x4 boxes and had plenty of room in both boxes for the branch circuits. What bothers me is that I probably should have run conduit from the juntion boxes to the new panel. Instead many of the branch circuits were long enough to route directly to the panel. I did not have the room to use stackers so the romex is bundled and that is the mistake that I am trying to correct. In hindsight, I should have run conduit and used stranded wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.