MPP/CMP Cable & Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should know the answer but I have gone "brain dead". The university requires that all conductors and cables be run in conduit. We are installing some new data circuits and the contractor was asking how many 4 pair, 24AWG MPP/CMP cables could be installed a 3/4" conduit. I just can't think my way through this and would appreciate some direction.
Thanks,
Le

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While the code rules do not cover this, most manufactures have wire fill limits for their cable. In many cases their wire fill numbers are less than what you would get if you did a 40% fill based on the area of the cable. Remember that these cables do not have the strength that power conductors do and excessive fill leads to pulling tensions that can damage the cable.
Don

ron

If it is metallic raceway and applies to Article 800, wouldn't 800.110 direct you to
800.110 Raceways for Communications Wires and Cables.
Where communications wires and cables are installed in a raceway, the raceway shall be either of a type permitted in Chapter 3 and installed in accordance with Chapter 3 ....
The varied raceway specific section for Number of Conductors which directs you to the 40% fill table?
I can't find a similar reference in Article 830.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ron,
I think that you sto\pped reading too soon.
800.110 Raceways for Communications Wires and Cables
Where communications wires and cables are installed in a raceway, the raceway shall be either of a type permitted in Chapter 3 and installed in accordance with Chapter 3 or a listed nonmetallic raceway complying with 800.182, and installed in accordance with 362.24 through 362.56, where the requirements applicable to electrical nonmetallic tubing apply.
Exception: Conduit fill restrictions shall not apply.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.