Rough-in: you're the last guy before cover inspection,
other trades long gone. You install the fart fans &
then wind up venting them. Or on trim: other trades
long gone & someone needs to hang/vent hood fan
for stove. As long as I get paid, I'm pretty much ok with
this...

ultramegabob

William1978 said:
As long as your getting paid keep doing it ecspecialy the way the enconamey is.

I used to build and set temp poles for a home builder, they asked me if I would set their mailboxes while I was there with my hole auger, I figgured what the heck money is money.....

SEO

I went on a service call one time and the homeowner asked if I would put lawn fertilizer on the front lawn. I did the job for the same pay as for electrical work.:smile:

big john

I'm not a real big fan of running duct work for anything. I'm no mechanical contractor and if I've learned anything it's that other trades are rarely as simple as they appear.

Heard too many stories of improperly run exhaust ducts filling with condensation and have actually seen electricians cause mechanical inspections to fail because of how they ran duct work. Things like range hoods that can end up getting coated with grease and such? Run the ducting wrong and you might end up with a fire hazard. No thanks.

-John

ceb58

big john said:
I'm not a real big fan of running duct work for anything. I'm no mechanical contractor and if I've learned anything it's that other trades are rarely as simple as they appear.

Heard too many stories of improperly run exhaust ducts filling with condensation and have actually seen electricians cause mechanical inspections to fail because of how they ran duct work. Things like range hoods that can end up getting coated with grease and such? Run the ducting wrong and you might end up with a fire hazard. No thanks.

-John

I am in the mind set of Big John, in NC it is in the mech. code that venting must be done by licensed mech. contractor. Let them have the fun. The GC's dont like it but so what. I can accomplish other thing in the time it would take to vent the fans and I am not accused of taking others work.

Buck Parrish

big john said:
Heard too many stories of improperly run exhaust ducts filling with condensation Things like range hoods that can end up getting coated with grease and such? Run the ducting wrong and you might end up with a fire hazard. No thanks.
John

Dittos, me too.

mdshunk

Yes, I normally end up doing the venting for the bath fans, range hood, and clothes dryer. Why, I don't know, but if they want to pay me that's okay with me.

220/221

If it is ME on the job, I will do pretty much anything.

I want my guys however to stick to electrical work.

walkerj

Around here the HVAC guys will run the duct to where the vent goes and leave it hanging and we put it on and tape it up. Dryer and vent hood is up to them.

alfiesauce

I hate.. I hate.. I despise venting...
If like walkerj states- they leave the tail there, it's not as bad as it could be... But actually doing the wall and/or *gasp* roof penetration sucks.
However!
I will say that the last few panasonics that have been vented for us have been vented in an improper manner - ie- they placed a screw through the vent shrowed and blocked the flapper so I had to take the fan out and click their screw after a call back on it. Or even better- they don't take off the little shipping tape off the flapper so it won't open because of that.
So it's all a horses piece I guess..

While doing my clean up at the end of a job customers sometimes ask me if I do windows to- I tell them for what I'm being charged out at I'll clean every window in their house inside and out. That usually settles that.

Status
Not open for further replies.