Mud rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Hass

Is it acceptable to place a plastic mud ring on a 4x4 square metal box? Or does it have to be a metal mud ring? How do you ground the ring if its metal? Tek screw and loop the ground? Or do you get the ground thru the mud ring ears and screws?

iwire

Staff member
I would not use a plastic ring on a metal box for my own reasons. Not sure if it is a code violation or not.

As far as grounding them all you have to do is install them on a metal box and they are grounded.

(By the way, few tek screws are OK for grounding anything unless they have machine threads.)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is it acceptable to place a plastic mud ring on a 4x4 square metal box? Or does it have to be a metal mud ring? How do you ground the ring if its metal? Tek screw and loop the ground? Or do you get the ground thru the mud ring ears and screws?

All modern 4x4 boxes have 10/32 hole for a ground screw. Don't really understand your question.
You cannot ground a plastic ring its plastic but you knew that. :?

user 100

All modern 4x4 boxes have 10/32 hole for a ground screw. Don't really understand your question.
You cannot ground a plastic ring its plastic but you knew that. :?

Could it be he is working with an older install, and is using a plastic mr he's got laying around?

If he's using this box as sw/rec box, I'm not sure if any of the device shimming/egc rules would apply here(???)- he could always tail the egc if hes worried about device w/out it.
Still though, he really just needs to get a metal ring and forget it-plastic rings are great until you get the cracks around the 6-32's.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician

There is no provisions for a ground screw on the metal plaster ring itself, so , dont jack it up by putting a self tapper through it and running a jumper to the box.:)

Generally the bond between the ring and the box is made when you place it on the box and secure it with the (2) 8/32's that are provided with the box.

I dont know of anything that wouldnt permit a plastic mudring on a metal box although I've never felt the need or the desire to use one.

JAP>

Jack Hass

There is no provisions for a ground screw on the metal plaster ring itself, so , dont jack it up by putting a self tapper through it and running a jumper to the box.:)

Generally the bond between the ring and the box is made when you place it on the box and secure it with the (2) 8/32's that are provided with the box.

I dont know of anything that wouldnt permit a plastic mudring on a metal box although I've never felt the need or the desire to use one.

JAP>

Thank you sir!

If it's a metal conduit wiring system I would not start adding plastic parts, but sounds like you're probably dealing with romex and will pigtail box and ground the device with the bare EGC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.