Mud Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

Is it good practice to always get mud rings an 1/8th size bigger? For instance, if it's 1/2" drywall, get 5/8" mudrings; if it's 5/8 drywall, get 3/4" mudrings and so on. Couldn't that end up bulging the device out from the wall??

Thanks

Pizza

I don't know if good practice is the right word(s).
But yeah it's usually fine to use one size bigger.
If the drywallers really suck than that extra 1/8" will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
For 1/2" sheetrock I install 5/8 mud ring and for 5/8 sheetrock I use 3/4" ring.

GerryB

Is it good practice to always get mud rings an 1/8th size bigger? For instance, if it's 1/2" drywall, get 5/8" mudrings; if it's 5/8 drywall, get 3/4" mudrings and so on. Couldn't that end up bulging the device out from the wall??

Thanks
This has come up before and there is some reason to do it but I never have. I would rather end up a tad in the wall than out of it. When we used to use the mud ring ring for low voltage and nail to the front edge of the stud you were actually out a little farther.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 3/4" ring works perfectly on 5/8" Sheetrock due to the head of the 8/32 screw holding it in place.

1964element

I do it ,,better then shimming them out.
Plates are a little convex..
Never had a problem with one sticking out.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Put me in the camp that buys 1/8" deeper mud rings. I've also never had an issue with a mud ring sticking out.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I generally go 1/8th inch up, as well, except for the occasional installation were the J-box can't squirm a bit in the wall cavity, like when it is flat to CMUs in a furred wall.

JFletcher

Just buy plastic mud rings 1-1/2" deep and use a belt sander on it once the drywall guys are done ;)

:D

I've still got some 2" metal rings from a job we did that had shear wall, soundboard and sheetrock on one side of the walls.

If the ring sits out a small amount, like 3/32" or less, trimming the plastic away from the backside of the screw hole(s) of the wall plates will get the plate snug to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.