Multi-Family dwelling units w/ 200A panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

Have you come across any multi-family apartment buildings with 120/208 3ph service that have individual dwelling units fed 1 phase to a 200 amp feed/ panel?

The load calc. was tight but came above 125 amps necessitating a 200 amp dwelling panel/feed.

The GC/Owner think the engineering is wrong and the dwellings should be 125 amp (as that's what they already ordered)

Thanks

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Oops
What size of feeder to the panels.
If the load calc is above 125 why use 125? Not code compliant.

First part of your question, yes

retirede

If it’s that close, be sure that the 208 wattages were used for heating appliances and not 240V values when doing the calculation.

JoeStillman

200A is pretty big for an apartment. How many square feet? Are they all electric? Heat Pumps? Retirede makes a good point about using 208V instead of 240V wattages. 240V Dryers, water heaters and ranges will draw 75% of the nominal watts if they are fed at 208V.

MyCleveland

From what I see the meter stacks are 125A or 225A rated. So you would just get 225A rated with 150A breakers?
I always thought is was 100 or 200 options....tried discussing with 800# for Siemens and they are telling me smallest is 200 now.
Not sure i believe that.
Whatever your meter slot size is you should be able select that size or smaller for your CBer size.
Discuss with your sales rep...could not reach mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.