Multi family service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

This is sort of a hypothetical install, it's going to be done but not by me and I was thinking how I would do this myself with the focus being on the layout, keep in mind I've never done a multi family service before. Existing are (Along with some assumptions not critical to my inquire) three meters located inside a basement, each immediately feeding it's respective MB 60a panel. Calculations aside, landlord wants to upgrade service to 200a and each panel to 100a and add a house panel. (Unsure if branch circuits are pulled from this location or not) So I was thinking of mounting a trough above and below the meters, the bottom trough extending beyond the meters on each side enough to fit two panels. Therefore, if you were to look at this install you'd see from left to right, two MB panels, four meters and another two MB panels. Does this sound good to you guys? There's probably a four gang meter enclosure on the market that could be used to simplify this I'm sure. What route would you guys take? Any other ideas?

PS, Meters need to be inside as there's an issue with work clearances outside.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
This may save some space, then you could also use MLO panels.

0829081429.jpg

Breakers are behind the panels on the side.

kwired

Electron manager
Is it OK with POCO to put the new meters inside? I would not put them back inside without making sure it is OK with POCO first.

Around here almost all POCO do not allow a meter inside - makes it easier for them to gain access to their meter.
There are existing ones inside, but if you are to change them they will not reconnect if they don't meet their current standards.

mark32

Thanks Jay for the post, that setup looks sweet. Can you come out the sides with the sub feeders? In this scenario I presented I would like to mount such an item directly to the interior basement wall, although I suppose it could be built off the wall to allow the feeders to come out the back of the enclosure and up the wall.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks Jay for the post, that setup looks sweet. Can you come out the sides with the sub feeders? In this scenario I presented I would like to mount such an item directly to the interior basement wall, although I suppose it could be built off the wall to allow the feeders to come out the back of the enclosure and up the wall.

Nothing wrong with coming out the top either. You need raintight hubs or fittings if outdoors. The long covers on the sides are just "auxillary gutters" for running the load side conductors through and run from top to bottom.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
There's actually two breakers on each side behind those panels, but there's still plenty of room to come into the sides. The line side connection looks like this:

0829081429a.jpg

Sorry I don't have additional pics. I took these from a different building that a previous electrician had installed to get an idea for my installation.

bullheimer

hey, I'm from Joisey? not really, but used to work there for years out of Lighton Industries in Lakewood, where the Hindenburg crashed and burned. Great State! I heart it!!! which part are you in?

Here, (on the left coast) if you come out of the sides, any penetration that is above a live part (busbar) has to have a Sealing Locknut or hub used. But that's outside so nevermind. and also here we can't put them inside either anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.