Multi family water pipe

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hey I’ve got a multi family service, 4 200 amp meter/mains over 1 wireway. Largest ungrounded conductor to each is 4/0 so I size the the gec to the metal water pipe off of the kill area of the 4/0 x 4 wires to get the size. 4/0 is 211,600, so 211,600 x 4 = 846,400 KC mil.

In 250.66 if I use AL wire the size would be 4/0 correct.

That’s the first question. If I’m wrong can you lead me to the right answer.

Second question. The water lines are 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper. Do they make a water bond clamp for that small of a pipe that will accept 4/0 wire. I’m not finding it. I don’t think split bolting to the 4/0 and reducing at each pipe to a wire size they would accept would be correct?

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's an electrode then you are back to 250.53 and 250.66.
IMO, you can size it based on the service conductors supplying your wireway which will likely be smaller than your (4) 4/0s

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I used 4/0 Al for the service conductors so I think that means my original math is correct?
Your math is correct. From your OP I assumed the 4/0 conductors to your disconnects were tapped from a POCO service in the wireway supplying all four. If so, that conductor is likely a lot smaller than your 211 kcmil combined number.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Your math is correct. From your OP I assumed the 4/0 conductors to your disconnects were tapped from a POCO service in the wireway supplying all four. If so, that conductor is likely a lot smaller than your 211 kcmil combined number.
Ah. I see what you are saying. I thought I had to size it off of my conductors. The power company has a single set of 250 mmm Al feeding the wireway that ties on to my 4/0 service conductors.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
4/0 Al is 1/2 what the equivalent copper runs are 3/0 or #4 cost wise. But it’s harder to work with. And they are about 100’ from the service average.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
It is, to me, an interesting scenario as I see some grey areas. Can we size the GEC by the 250s being one, Another being can we treat the supply as one system and connect to it only once and at the closest point.
Hopefully you will get some other opinions here but in the end it would probably be a good idea to run t by your inspector ahead of time as there are variables.
If I were inspecting it I would likely treat it as a 250.104 install to assure I had each section bonded in the event the systems were not mechanically connected at some point but call could certainly be questioned.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
4/0 Al is 1/2 what the equivalent copper runs are 3/0 or #4 cost wise. But it’s harder to work with. And they are about 100’ from the service average.

Careful with Al. It requires more care when using as a GEC. See 250.62/250.64.

I do not think you can bond aluminum to a water pipe since it the Al will be exposed to earth.

But reading it back, it looks like they changed the NEC in 2020 to allow Al to be exposed in earth as long as the environment isn't corrosive? Isn't in earth a corrosive environment due to presence of water?