Multi-Point Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand what multi-point grounding is? This shelter is small, 12ftx20ft and they are saying it needs a multi-point system, but there specs are configured for large buildings.

I work with Telecommunication shelters that are precast concrete. I work with customers such as Tmobile, Verizon, FAA and anyone who deals with radio frequency which require a lot of grounding. I am familiar with R-56 and Harris grounding standards but I'm not fully sure i understand what multi-point is.

Any info on this would be great.

May the Fourth be with you!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would call the engineer and see what he/ she is thinking because it can be many thinks. If I remember correctly many communication buildings use ground loops. Don may chime in here shortly

Here is a wikipedia definition so you can see it is ambiguous-- heck 2 grounds is a multipoint it seems

A multipoint ground is an alternate type of electrical installation that attempts to solve the ground loop and mains hum problem by creating many alternate paths for electrical energy to find its way back toground. The distinguishing characteristic of a multipoint ground is the use of many interconnected grounding conductors into a loose grid configuration. There will be many paths between any two points in a multipoint grounding system, rather than the single path found in a star topology ground. This type of ground may also be known as a Signal Reference Grid or Ground (SRG) or an Equipotential Ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.