Multi stories apartment complex building

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 5 stories apartment complex building with three additional stories below grade p1,p2,p3 for parking. The service switchboards are located From their cables go up each floors to meter stacks.

I was told that those cables would need to be run inside a stack enclosed 2 hours rated from p3 all the way to fifth floor. However i do not see this in NEC 2017 anywhere. Is it in their code and sections?

I have 5 stories apartment complex building with three additional stories below grade p1,p2,p3 for parking. The service switchboards are located From their cables go up each floors to meter stacks.

I was told that those cables would need to be run inside a stack enclosed 2 hours rated from p3 all the way to fifth floor. However i do not see this in NEC 2017 anywhere. Is it in their code and sections?
No it's a building code issue, presumably to prevent fire having a convenient chase up thru the building. Approved fire stopping at each floor may be allowed, but I don't know what your building code says.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
No it's a building code issue, presumably to prevent fire having a convenient chase up thru the building. Approved fire stopping at each floor may be allowed, but I don't know what your building code says.

Building code we have is IBC? Or are you saying something different?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We are saying it’s not an NEC issue, we are not building code experts.
Firestopping is normally inspected by the building AHJ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.