Multi Tenent Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

amge

Do you need to group main disconnets on 2 family home. Or can you have one main breaker panel in basement and one on the main floor and have just the meters on exteria of the home.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As much as I don't care for the idea, I believe 230.40 Exception #1 and 230.71 allow for a service disconnect in each occupancy as long as each location meets the requiremts of 230.70, etc.

hurk27

This has been a very misunderstood part of the NEC, because many don't realize that in many multi tenant buildings, there is a required fire wall between them, and if there is, then each side is treated as a separate structure, and if they are sold as a condo, this is a must, to prevent utility trespass.

this is common to, Duplex's, town houses, and any mu ti tenant row type dwellings. each unit can be it's own building as far as the NEC goes.

always keep in mind, that in cases where each unit can be sold, you can't run utility wires across someone else's property. so you will see one meter mounted on each unit. now this is not disregarding places where there has been a easement put in the deeds that is called common area. which we can run wires through these areas. but this is an area that has to be addressed when doing these types of construction.

Around here, we try to wire any buildings that meet the above types, we get a lot of flack from the POCO sometimes, but when we explain the division of the building by fire walls to them, they back off.

Even strip malls can fall into this area, if a right of way hasn't been established. and these too can have the same problem if sold off as individual buildings, this has happened here once with grave consequences.
we had where a strip mall was sold off each unit at a time, it included the parking in front and back leaving a right of way for cars out back away from the building, each owner was given a deed showing what they own.
The problem was when the building was built, the original EC ran all the feeders from one meter wall pack across the back of the building, across each units back wall, outside but on the building just the same. A unit owner in the middle of the building decided he needed a little more storage room and cut the wall out conduits and all, his lawyers told him he has the right since it is his property. well we had to redo all the services to a single service on each unit. all billed to the developer of the property who decided to split up the units and sell them. this was a major mess up, as some store sued for the lost income from their stores while power was out, one restaurant lost all the food in it's refers and freezers, thousands of dollars worth.

Just something to think about;)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Would you accept the SE conductors to be run in the building or outside the building?

only outside...230.70(A)(1) would apply to each unit.
Locally POCO won't permit this so it's a mute point for me, but I am of the understanding that NEC allows it. The most common incident I have seen (where POCO allowed) is on duplex units with a duplex meter socket and a service entrance into each unit.

hurk27

Wayne
Are you saying the method mentioned by Augie is not permissible for multitenant apartment building?

Building. A structure that stands alone or that is cut off from adjoining structures by fire walls with all openings therein protected by approved fire doors.

230.2 Number of Services.
A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors, 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.

All I was saying is the code allows both, 230.40 Exception(1) is a permission to allow each unit to be fed by service entrance conductors from one service,
230.2 allows one service to each building, but in article 100 "building is defined" so if there is a fire wall, each unit can have its own service, and the point I was making in my long winded post, was that if the intention is to sell off each unit, then other property laws and rights will make it imperative to not trespass utility conductors upon another's property, so each unit will have to have its own service, unless there is an easement built in the deed to the property.

I was just trying to bring this to light as there are many who don't think about this when doing muti tenant buildings.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.