Multi Wire OCPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

OP: Is that a 2MW heater or 2kW heater?

Your writing says 2MW which sounds like a typo; 2kW sounds about right for a "one-hole outhouse" in AK.

You're not feeding 2MW with 12/2 romex. Must be 2kW.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You say that the breaker comes from the manufacturer with handle tie. That does not tell us though whether it also has a common trip feature. That will affect whether it is suitable for line to line loads.
Handle ties alone are sufficient for MWBCs with only line to neutral loads.
It appears to me that handle ties are permitted for both line to line and line to neutral loads if the system is 120/240. 240.15(B)(1)&(2).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It appears to me that handle ties are permitted for both line to line and line to neutral loads if the system is 120/240. 240.15(B)(1)&(2).
It does look that way in (2). The more restrictive requirement in (1) would then apply only to three-phase systems with either three phase or single phase line-to-line loads.

All the breakers you find in building are "trip-free", that is, if you hold the handle in the ON position, the breaker will still operate to clear a fault or overload. [Some breakers in submarines may not be trip-free so you can hold a circuit closed during being depth charged.]

A multi-pole breaker marked common trip will trip all poles if one trips.

Two or three single pole breakers with their handles connected by listed handle ties, let alone a nail or piece of #12 CU may well not trip the other poles if one pole trips. The tripped position of the handle is midway between OFF and ON, and may not even move if, for instance, the center pole of three poles trips, being held by the two outermost handles.
Thank you for the fed back. It is a 2pole breaker with handle ties sold as one breaker marked common trip and 120v/240v. I will have to look up this breaker in UL to see if it is rated for more then one wire under one pole (screw). If it is then I should be ok to supply line to line and line to neutral loads as long as I have not exceeded the rated or calculated load.... right? All these loads will be considered continuous.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... I will have to look up this breaker in UL to see if it is rated for more then one wire under one pole (screw). If it is then I should be ok to supply line to line and line to neutral loads as long as I have not exceeded the rated or calculated load.... right? ...
UL documentation will not tell you if the terminal is rated for more than one wire. You'll have to get that from manufacturer label, packaging, or product documentation. Note it is not required to state anywhere the terminal is suitable for one wire only.

If it is suitable for one wire only, you can still connect L-L and L-N loads by splicing somewhere other than the breaker terminal.

mwm1752

If so, does the heater circuit have a grounded conductor as part of the branch circuit?
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.
Even when you tap from a range circuit for a hood there is a grounded conductor within the circuit serving the appliance.
The diagram also show two separate circuits since they are not contained in the same cable or raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.