Multiple 200A main breakers on 1 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pho3nix3871

New User
Occupation
electrical engineer
Hi,

I have a 200A house setup. I'd like to install a manual transfer switch for a generator. I was originally going to use the Manual transfer switch as the main breaker (service disconnect) as well, which has to be installed on the outside of the house per NEC 2020. My wife does not like the look of the panel since it is large (24in tall by 15in wide). So as an alternative, I'd like to install a skinny outdoor circuit breaker panel (1 breaker 200A) on the outside of the house then feed into the garage and immediately go into a manual transfer switch (200A main breaker) then use 4/0 SER cable to the main breaker which is 100ft downstream, and also has a 200A main breaker. So essentially, I will have three 200A breakers on the same electrical system.

200A (outside main) -> 200A (inside manual transfer switch, immediately inside relative to the outside 200A breaker) -100ft cable-> 200A main panel

Does anyone see a problem with this setup? does it violate code? I don't think it does because if the system over-current happens then any of the three 200A breakers will trip it.

diagram

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The code does not prohibit multiple over current protection devices in the same circuit but the forum rules prohibit us from helping do-it-yourselfers in performing electrical work so we cannot help you do this in a safe and appropriate way.

Your safest bet is to find a competent electrician who has experience with this kind of work. It may seem simple but some of the details are not real obvious and you want this to be done correctly.

kwired

Electron manager
The code does not prohibit multiple over current protection devices in the same circuit but the forum rules prohibit us from helping do-it-yourselfers in performing electrical work so we cannot help you do this in a safe and appropriate way.

Your safest bet is to find a competent electrician who has experience with this kind of work. It may seem simple but some of the details are not real obvious and you want this to be done correctly.
In his case he is simply making separate feeders that supply nothing but another feeder each time he hits a breaker. Nothing would be wrong code wise if he put a few more 200 amp breakers in line throughout that 100 feet of feed to his panel, if for some reason he wanted to.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.