Multiple Belss????

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyseth

I am wanting to cause three seperate locations to ring with just one button. I have tried multiple transformers and they seem to cancel each other out. I have tied the normal three way type wiring as with light switches and that doesn't seem to work either. Does any one out there have a salution to this situation. If so ....Thanks for your input.

hurk27

Re: Multiple Belss????

Get a wireless doorbell extender it can be placed any where and even carried out by the pool or back yard. We get them from Manard's but I think most of the big box co's have them.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

For simplicity, take the current draw of the sum of all the bells and size (1) transformer to accomodate this total VA.

Roger

luke warmwater

Personally, I don't like the wireless chimes. They have their place, I guess, but I think that they sound cheap.

Anyway, we get requests for this in large homes, where the owner will want a chime on every floor to ring with the front door button.

At this point, I try to get them to go with cameras or intercom system, but occasionally we do 2-3 chimes.

Other times include a later added finished basement where the owner will want an added chime.

We do as Roger says, and it works fine.

But, hopefully you are using 18ga Chime Wire and not 24ga.Cat3 that alot of the tract home contractors are using.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

For simplicity, take the current draw of the sum of all the bells and size (1) transformer to accomodate this total VA.

Do you really think this guy has a clue what you are talking about? :D

gregory

You need to get 3 chimes with the same impedance. 3 chimes that are exactly the same and it will work. Another way is Newtone used to manufacture a relay that would let you isolate the transformers. and connect different chimes together. I don't know if they still manufacture them.

jgriffin

Maybe Mr.Ed McLaren will give a refresher on Basic Series and Parallel circuits with Graphics to Simply this Thread. Are you trying to wire it in Series or Parallel?

iwire

Staff member

One power supply of the correct voltage and sufficient capacity.

As many chimes and buttons as you want.

All the chimes will be parallel to each other.

All the buttons will be in parallel to each other.

The paralleled group of buttons will be put in series with one conductor of the paralleled group of chimes and one conductor of the power supply.

The other conductor of the paralleled group of chimes will connect directly to the other conductor of the power supply.

What am I missing.

jgriffin

Without getting complicated here, I just took 3 new chimes with the 3 supplied transformers wired the chimes in series and the transformer secondaries in parallel. All 3 chimmed perfectly while being tested, Chimes wired in parallel gave the BEST results.

[ February 16, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: jgriffin ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jgriffin,
I just took 3 new chimes with the 3 supplied transformers wired the chimes in series
why?

Roger

jimwalker

Im bit confused.You put 3 transformers in parallel,that keeps voltage the same (assumed you matched phases)That gives you roughly 16 volts.If the chimes are in series they each get about 1/3 or 5 volts each.This shouldn't work as wired

:confused:

jgriffin

Roger, Just happened to be standing in my workshop Shooting the BREEZE with a neighbor, when I noticed 3 new chime sets on a shelf, Wanted to see why BabySeth was having a problem. Other than that,No Logical Reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.