multiple circuits to residential boat lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hello all. Is there a code requiring only one circuit to a residential dock? I have looked over article 555 and it just points to art 3. No place for remote panel so If possable, I want to just run two circuits for the lift motors and dock lights. One circuit is 120/240 other 240 volt. Both 20 Amps. Both circuits GFI protected at main panel or subpanel mounted to house. Thank you.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
It will come down to the question of the dock being a 'separate structure' requiring a single separate feeder rather than a bit of outdoor equipment associated with the house. You are only permitted to run a single circuit/feeder to a detached structure....and we could have a 277 post thread about what defines a structure.

-Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would probably opt for a single feeder and a small panel at the dock, even if not required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Jon, as dumb as it sounds this would be a separate structure by definition.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't understand the "there is no place for a panel" part, if that's the case what are you going to do for the control box(es)?

Roger

Niteshift1

Occupation
Night machinist/Electrician
Boat lifts, jet ski lifts, shore power twistlocks, gfci recepts, lights. Control boxes mount to the pilings (of sufficient height). Sub panels are on shore, PVC to outlets, upsize for voltage drop.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't understand the "there is no place for a panel" part, if that's the case what are you going to do for the control box(es)?
Yes good question, there are pedestals made specifically for boat docks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Boat lifts, jet ski lifts, shore power twistlocks, gfci recepts, lights. Control boxes mount to the pilings (of sufficient height). Sub panels are on shore, PVC to outlets, upsize for voltage drop.
Don't know where that is coming from, I have mounted many panels / load centers on pilings. Please elaborate on your statement.

Roger

Niteshift1

Occupation
Night machinist/Electrician
Don't know where that is coming from, I have mounted many panels / load centers on pilings. Please elaborate on your statement.

Roger
Didn't mean to imply panels can't be mounted there as well, just that one way to do it is to mount the outlets/control boxes on the pilings.

retirede

Mike Holt recommends no electrical power on boat docks. He did a video on the dangers, showing the voltage gradient
This is a different video https://www.mikeholt.com/marina-and-boatyard-safety.php

We vacation frequently at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Every dock is powered and I am always wary when I’m there. They average 2-3 electrocutions per season, I think.

The gas pumps on docks make me even more nervous. That may be irrational, but it is what it is...

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in Fl Army Corps of engineers requires the feeder to docks be a gfci protected circuit before it crosses their right of way /easement.
so typically you see (1) small NEMA 3R panel on the first post or on a seperate post before the dock. And the circuits for the boatlift and lighting are fed from there.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
Thank you all. Been away. I agree with the separate structure argument. I have recommended the panel but think I was to expensive.

Here in Fl Army Corps of engineers requires the feeder to docks be a gfci protected circuit before it crosses their right of way /easement.
so typically you see (1) small NEMA 3R panel on the first post or on a seperate post before the dock. And the circuits for the boatlift and lighting are fed from there.
Fl Army Corps of engineers requiring GFI on feeder is very informative. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.