multiple conduit seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1980

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Is there a formula for figuring out how much fiber to use on each seal. I know that each seal comes with specs on what is needed for that particular size. But I have a mixture of 4", 3", 2", 1 1/2", 1", and 3/4 and need to order fiber and chico. All the seals are eyx's or the next size up. I have never had to fill this many seals before and I've come up short on fiber before.

Second is it ok to use Duct seal to pack the larger seals?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Typically, each manufacturer can supply an estimate of sealing fiber and compound per seal fitting since they must be listed together [See 501.15(C)(1)]. For example. (See second page)

Ductseal is not acceptable where the seals are required to be explosionproof. Division 2 / unclassified boundary seals are not required to be exposionproof [Section 501.15(B)(2)]; whether ductseal is acceptable in such cases is a subject left to the AHJ. Personally, I would accept it since the vast majority of such boundary seals aren't necessary in the first place [See all four Section 501.15(B)(2) Exceptions].

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't do all that much of it these days, but I always just bought enough that I was comfortable I would not run out. My theory always was the stuff was not all that expensive to begin with and if there is some left over, I just did not care.

I am one of those guys that has the seals installed but not poured on our equipment. I have a big red tag put on it saying it has to be field poured. It is almost but not quite impossible to replace or add a wire once the seal is poured and I would just as soon not pour them until absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.