Multiple equipment grounding terminal bars in a single panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What code section would be violated if the multiple equipment ground bars were connected only by the metallic cabinet?

250.4(A)(5) if I was the inspector and searching for a reason. The judgment call would be in the size of the EGs leaving that bar and the OC rating of those loads. Two threads for an 800 Amp device would make me search for something.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
250.4(A)(5) if I was the inspector and searching for a reason. The judgment call would be in the size of the EGs leaving that bar and the OC rating of those loads. Two threads for an 800 Amp device would make me search for something.

IMO that section would be pretty weak in forming your argument but I do see your point.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That would mean an EMT run with a NEMA one box in the middle would have to have bonding bushings on each fitting on this box with a jumper in between.
I understand the implications, of which you mention but one.

However, we have several inferences which say properly-terminated EMT and other metal raceways are an equipment grounding conductor. Yet nowhere that I can find does it say explicitly that a grounded metal enclosure (box, cabinet, etc.) can serve as an equipment grounding conductor or bonding jumper for power applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.