Multiple Grounding System

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeeee

I have a wye-wye connected 300KVA, 12,470/7200X208/120V, 3 phase transformer mounted on the ground using a vault. I have a ground ring installed around the transformer. Per TM 5-811-1/AFJMAN, the secondary nuetral should be taken to a separate gournd rod (separate from the ground ring of the transformer by a distance of 20 feet) if using an ungrounded delta system or single grounded wye system. This reg shows that the secondary nuetral should be taken to the transformer ground ring if using a multiple-grounded wye system.

My understanding of a multiple grounded system is that it is a system set up with multiple ground points throughout the power distribution network, such as grounding at the transformer, the MDP and other points. Would you agree? The necessary grounding configuration of the secondary nuetral depends on the determining if a mulitple grouding system is being employed. Another description I learned is that a multiple grounded system is one in which multiple circuits were employed? Not sure if NEC covers this point.

beanland

Wye-Wye Grounding

Wye-Wye Grounding

You sound like you are mixing grounding on the primary wye with grounding on the secondary wye. NEC applies to the transformer secondary service. NESC will apply to the POCO primary.

eeeee

Multiple Grounded System

Multiple Grounded System

Rule 97D in the NESC Handbook says that primary and secondary nuetrals shall be interconnected such as is the case with this transformer when a multiple grounded system is employed in a wye-wye configuration in this case. It describes what a multiple grounded system is also in the NESC.

eeeee

Multiple Ground

Multiple Ground

Also, I understand that if an area is set up with all the transformers having their primary and secondary nuetrals tied together, then that is considered a multiple grounded system. I define an area as a corporate HQ complex made up of many buildings for example.

beanland

Sounds well grounded

Sounds well grounded

I am not familiar with the standard your original message cites. But, what you says makes sense. If the transformer primary is delta, there may be no POCO neutral/ground for bonding; you are establishing a ground when connecting the secondary neutral to earth. If the transformer primary is ungrounded wye, and the secondary is delta, there may be a primary neutral that is not used and you should ground the delta in some fashion (corner, mid-side, or grounding transformer). If the primary is grounded wye and the secondary is grounded wye, then the ground points must be bonded and earthed. If the primary is delta or ungrounded wye and the secondary is impedance grounded wye, neither the transformer primary or secondary are effectively grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.