Multiple high bay led failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
All else said. Motion dimmers on that kind of application is " Over Engineering."
I mean you have got to be kidding......

I am trying to put together some kind of explanation for why some high bay lights failed. I will explain.
I have upgraded a warehouse service center with Lithonia Lighting. There a IBG High Bay. They were installed as a replacement to what they had. There equipped with motion dimmers. The actual light is from Acuity.

The lights have been working great. They have brought light to the darkness of there warehouse. So here's what happened. I take my turkey day, or week. I left on a Saturday. I get a phone call on Monday. Of the 18 high bay LED's on the one side only 7 are working. Now what got me is there hasn't been a single glitch sense being installed.

So why would they fail?

So here's what I found 6 days when I returned. There are 18 in this area. 7 work. 4 of them the motion sensor was flashing green. Checked the drivers. Those 4 drivers, no good. But the other 6. I noticed black on vent holes.

Now I'm probably gonna say this wrong, but there's a input/output power block. I know I'm saying it wrong.

Here's my question. Why would all these fail at once? Makes no sense.
I'm not saying This what happened to you but the symptoms are the same. We had an outside contractor replace 3,034 T5 highbays with LED fixtures. They replaced about 500 and the next week 70% of them failed. The MOV surge protectors sacrificed themselves to keep the voltage low. the lights worked perfectly without problems until they failed.

Many of the motion detectors popped their diffusers off some were working sans diffusers some weren't.

What the contractor had not realized was that most of our lighting panels had some 277 circuits but the bulk of them were 480 in the same panel. I''m sure you can figure out the rest of the story

farmantenna

Probably transient event. we just had every 2x2 LED drop-in with battery backup LED driver fail in a care facility. Installed 4 years ago warranty is 5. power outage and they had no emergency lighting . a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.