Multiple Services on a Single Shunt Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kray1300

I have an engineer proposing to install a shunt trip to turn off all power to a multiple-occupancy commercial building. Power for the shunt will be from the house panel. The push-button will be in a lockbox with a fire key. My problem is that for some ethereal reason, it just doesn't seem right... Am I way off base ? Can someone give me hint from the code?

Ken

Volta

I've been wondering if anyone has done that yet.

Seems like you still shouldn't exceed six grouped switches as 230.72, since 230.76(2) wants it/them operable by hand in case of power failure to the control.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have an engineer proposing to install a shunt trip to turn off all power to a multiple-occupancy commercial building. Power for the shunt will be from the house panel. The push-button will be in a lockbox with a fire key. My problem is that for some ethereal reason, it just doesn't seem right... Am I way off base ? Can someone give me hint from the code?

Ken

That seems to be allowed per 230.70(A)(3). But the way I read it, he still only gets 6 shunt trip breakers for each service or for each set of service conductors. See 230.76 for example.

In other words, the shunt trip doesn't get him anything.

brian john

That seems to be allowed per 230.70(A)(3). But the way I read it, he still only gets 6 shunt trip breakers for each service or for each set of service conductors. See 230.76 for example.

In other words, the shunt trip doesn't get him anything.

Why wouldn't it, he can remotely operate all services from multiple locations, with the push of a single button.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Why wouldn't it, he can remotely operate all services from multiple locations, with the push of a single button.

In my opinion, both 230.76(2) and 230.79 make it clear that its the breaker, not the remote switch, that is the disconneting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.