Multiwire branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
my point again, if the Handle ties for a MWBC were a specific color and not a common handle tie or common trip ciircuit breaker, a circuit tracer would not be needed, it would be obvious which 3p breaker was for the 3ph load and wouldnt have to waste our time with a circuit tracer.

I guess you are assuming there is only one - three phase load in the panel?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I guess you are assuming there is only one - three phase load in the panel?

for example, lets say you had a 126 ciircuit 3 section panelboard and only had (1) true 3 phase circuit coming out of it.
all the rest were single phase loads.all 20 amp.

Yes, per my example,,,, I'm just rattling Iwire,,,,,,I just miss the good ole days when a 3p breaker was used for a 3 phase circuit 2p breakers were used for 208,240 and 480v single phase circuits,
and we shared a neutral without being required to use handle ties.

I did however agree with the handle ties when 2 circuits were landed on the same yoke,that made since.

As I stated earlier,I dont randomly disconnect a neutral conductor in any location since I know what the consequence may be.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I just miss the good ole days when a 3p breaker was used for a 3 phase circuit 2p breakers were used for 208,240 and 480v single phase circuits,
and we shared a neutral without being required to use handle ties.

I did however agree with the handle ties when 2 circuits were landed on the same yoke,that made since.

I am with you 100%.

Roger

ddderek

Issues with tieing multi wire branch circuits

Issues with tieing multi wire branch circuits

I fully agree with the poster that said "I have a hard enough time getting approval to shut down 1 circuit let alone three!"

In my opinion, this rule was made for the idiots that were created by Home Depot electrical aisle workers telling them how to do electrical work. Any trained/licensed electrician knows the principles of three phase circuits and multi wire branch circuits and should plan accordingly.

I also agree with the comment that talked about using A phase, B phase, and C phase circuits that are not next to each other in the panel... Before this ridiculous change, multi-wire branch circuits did not need to be consecutive breakers!

# 1, 4, and 12 can effectively share a neutral without incident... Until this code change.

The code change should be altered to cover strictly RESIDENTIAL installations... then you will cover a majority of the uninformed folks trying to masquerade as electricians.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I agree with you. I think I may have been one of the posters you referenced.
I think the only thing to be done now is sit down, crack open a beverage of your choice with another real electrician and drink a toast to the good ole days. I doubt they will return.

Status
Not open for further replies.