Murray breakers compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
This Murray panel has Crouse Hinds, Westinghouse, and Bryant breakers listed but what if I can't find these brands? IIs there a more common brand compatible? The inspectors are strict. Thank you.

norcal

These may be of some use. Murray & Crouse-Hinds usually also listed ITE breakers as compatible.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I found a store that sells Murray breakers. It is a Siemens with a Murray label stuck on it. But at least with the label, I should be ok with the inspector. The label is on the side where the Siemens label normally is so I will have to take the breaker out of the panel for inspection. Today, I saw a customer at the counter buy a couple of Zinsco breakers. No thanks, even though they looked refurbished, I've had enough experience with Zinsco that I will never work in those panels ever again. (panel replacement is the only option for me) Thank you.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Siemens has owned Murray for decades and the breakers have been the same long before that, because Murray used to brand-label the ITE breakers and panels, then Siemens bought ITE in the 1980s, so they bought the Murray product line a few years later since they basically already owned it. There is a letter you can get from Siemens stating that they are the same breakers and listed under the same UL file if the Murray panel was purchased after something like 1984 (I can’t recall exactly). I think someone even posted a photo of that letter in here some time ago.

As of 2019, Siemens announced that they are phasing out the Murray brand name now.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Fun fact 'Connecticut Electric' re-sells a OEM Siemens breaker 1 pole 15 and 20 amp in a blister package at big box stores that is UL 'Classified' for almost any interchangeable panel. I believe the exception is SQD homeline.
Apparently they worked a deal with Siemens to pay for the UL testing in every panel and they get the 'Classified' rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.