Murray main breaker

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
Hi guys I came across a 200amp murray panel today. The whole building and panel was stripped of wiring and breakers ..service is already disconnected by local power company..I know these breakers are discontinued..what type of breaker would I use for a 200amp for the main breaker. Panel was replaced in 2018 and the owner doesn't want to pay for a new one so I am pricing things out and checking options at this point..is the main a push on breaker? Because I don't see any indication that it's a screw on breaker. Any help or links to what type of breaker it takes is very much appreciated.thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409-123642_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409-123642_Gallery.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 34

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A new panel would likely cost the same, or less than just buying a 200A breaker. You would have to buy a main breaker kit if it was a MLO panel.
They are not push on breakers.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The Siemens breakers are the replacement for the Murray panels in most cases, Siemens bought out Murray. If Main breaker still in place should be able to get the Siemens that will fit. But looks like someone slaughtered the panel and would simply base on your description of what had been removed it would be the cheapest as @Little Bill indicated to just install a new Main Breaker panel.

kwired

Electron manager
A new panel would likely cost the same, or less than just buying a 200A breaker. You would have to buy a main breaker kit if it was a MLO panel.
They are not push on breakers.
I agree, if you need a 200 amp main breaker it will cost around same if not more than a new panel with main already installed in many instances, kind of doesn't matter which brand it is either.

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
Yes I agree with you guys. I did tell the owner I would do some researching and get back to him being that he doesn't want to change the panel.

Ya it is definitely gutted, these panels take a main breaker kit for mounting? It makes sense because I have never seen a push on main breaker. Nothing over 125 mps anyway.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think you cannot put that back together in the field in a way that would be compliant with the original listing, even if you could identify the right parts. Especially the factory conductors between the meter compartment and the main breaker. It needs to be replaced. If the stripping was not thievery then that was really unfortunate incompetence to strip those parts out, sorry to say.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
If I remember correctly, the main would have been an MP-2200 (the original Murray breaker). It appears the SIEMENS is an MPD-2200. Per Siemens this has been obsolete since 2022.

The breaker plugs on to the top 4 stabs (2 left, 2 right). The original Murray had a unique design. The breaker had a spring loaded piece of steel on one side which kept the bus connection tight. I have seen several of these where the spring lost tension.... I think we know how this ended. There was a longer 6-32 screw located in the bakelite between the line lugs which kept the breaker secured to the bus assembly.

One last thing.... Looking at the picture, it looks like the top stab has some oxidation or corrosion on it. Being as this panel was aluminum bus, I would have serious reservation about reusing it.

Just my 2cents (was a dollar but after taxes and expenses.....)

Howard