musicjim

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicjim

Does anyone know the location within any code prohibiting combining a utility/housekeeping closet (including a floor-pan/sink complete with hot & cold water for cleaning mops etc.) with electrical panels which in some cases are 440v and above?
I know this is not the safest practice as water & electricity don't mix to well, but I have been unsuccessful in finding any code prohibiting this practice. Our local Fire Marshall obviously is less than thrilled about the condition existing, but to this point I have not been able to locate any code specifying such.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That talks about space not rooms. There is nothing in the code that calls for a dedicated room as long as you maintain all of your requied clearances.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We are all saying the same things, but let me put them in one list.
  • In front of any of the panels, you have to keep the working space clear (e.g., no sinks within that space).
  • Directly above any of the panels, you are not allowed to run any pipes (unless the pipe is at least 6 feet above the top of the panel, and unless you have a drip shield of some type between the pipe and the panel).
  • You can have a pipe above the working space in front of a panel, if the pipe is at least 6'7" above the floor.
If you meet all these requirements, then there is no rule against having panels and housekeeping sinks in the same room.

musicjim

That is pretty much what I have come up with also atleast with NFPA 70 but was not certain if ICC or OSHA had some regulation concerning this or not.

Thank you for the feed back.
Jim

musicjim

Response

Response

I think I sent a reply expressing my thanks for the feed back, but in case I used the wrong "response" location - Thank you for the follow-up. I wasn't sure if something other than NFPA 70 such as ICC or OSHA had anything to say concerning this or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.