Mutliple Ceiling Fans with Remote Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhounden91

I came across a new one today. I'm working on a back yard addition, some cans, some ceiling fans with light kits, sconces, downlights, etc.

THE SITUATION:

There are 3 ceiling fans total. All 3 have light kits. All three have remotes and modules .The fans are on a constant hot...no switch.

THE PROBLEM:

The fans work fine with the remote once its programmed, but the lights turn on with 2 fans, but off with the 3rd when I hit the light button "on." Then when you hit the remote button for the light "off" the lights switch (2 off, one on). I've reprogrammed and tried to get them all to work together at least 16 times. The fans always work, fan speeds and all. But the lights are always changing order. And to make things worse, they're dimmable from the remote. There are only dip-switches in the remotes. (The modules are auto-sensing). I have tried turning the dip switch off for the dimmer, and on...there's no change in result.

MY QUESTIONS:

Can I remove 2 of the modules and tie all of the fans to the output of one module so all the fans get the same signal? Are there output voltage limitations on the modules? I believe the problem to be that all 3 modules are picking up the RF signal but only when they're pointed at or pointed in the general vicinity of. The fans are too far apart to be able to point at all 3 at the same time.

Anyone ever run into this before?

gk351

I had similar problems with some Casablanca fans with wireless wall mounted switches. I tried everything and the only response i got from them was we have experienced some problems with this unit, and we have no solution. my customer has since dealt with it, and have heard nothing since.

teufelhounden91

I believe these are Ellington fans, but I can't find the paperwork for their tech support number. Haven't tried googling them yet. I'm curious though if I tie them all on the output side of the module if they'll work right. I just don't want to try it and blow a module lol.

Buck Parrish

I would chunk them and buy new ones. Try one, if it does not work, then two if it works take the others back. If not get three new ones and charge the customer. They will catch on fire if not wired correctly.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Would the customer consider separate remote for problem fan?

Was this problem existing from original installation, or did it used to work and now it doesn't?

I have a similiar situation coming up, keep us up to date.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you try and tie the three units to one remote you will eventually get them out of sync. Download the manual as I believe there is an issue with the program. We had a situation where the light would come on and then go off after a few seconds. We had to program the unit to the remote.

Gac66610

How can you say the fans are "auto sensing" if you don't have the paper work

All remote ceiling fans that I have seen or installed have Dip-switches,(exception Casablanca Intella-touch,that i can remember been along time since i installed one), either on the receiver under canopy, on top of the fan itself, or where the light kit gets installed.

You can install one remote for all fans, but the fan further away wont get the same signal strength, try standing at center fan using remote.

I have run into this using one remote for two fans, unless the user is standing the same distance (center) from both or all fans it will not work properly.

IMO I would not use one receiver to operate all three fans

teufelhounden91

I would chunk them and buy new ones. Try one, if it does not work, then two if it works take the others back. If not get three new ones and charge the customer. They will catch on fire if not wired correctly.

I don't think this is the right way to go. These are very expensive fans and everything works fine on them...they're just working in an odd order and I believe its because of the weakness of RF technology. The customer will probably stick her foot up my "teeth" if I give her that as my solution lol.

Thanks for the reply though.

teufelhounden91

Would the customer consider separate remote for problem fan?

Was this problem existing from original installation, or did it used to work and now it doesn't?

I have a similiar situation coming up, keep us up to date.

There are 3 remotes, I have tried swapping one out and the problem still remains. Also, when I turn off the breaker and turn it back on and program the remote (within 30 seconds) all 3 of the fans program together so it is impossible to try to independently program one remote for one fan because there is a faint RF signal caught by all 3 modules. These fans are roughly 7' apart in a line.

I roughed these fans in and brought a clean home run to them, so it's all new construction. It acted like this from trim out when I assembled the fans.

I'm going back out there Monday so I'll keep you up to date on what I find out.

teufelhounden91

How can you say the fans are "auto sensing" if you don't have the paper work

All remote ceiling fans that I have seen or installed have Dip-switches,(exception Casablanca Intella-touch,that i can remember been along time since i installed one), either on the receiver under canopy, on top of the fan itself, or where the light kit gets installed.

The fan modules do not have manual dip switches. Only the remotes do. This means they are auto-sensing. Most modern remote-fans are moving to this technology. 5 years ago most fans had dip switches on both sides, but "smarter" technology is being pushed now in more expensive applications. The modules on this auto-sensing fans do not have a door that slides off to reveal dip switches. It is sealed and encased and not meant to be taken apart.

You can install one remote for all fans, but the fan further away wont get the same signal strength, try standing at center fan using remote.

I have run into this using one remote for two fans, unless the user is standing the same distance (center) from both or all fans it will not work properly.

I've done that. I've tried standing in different places but under the center fan doesn't engage all three. Only standing back about 6 feet and pointing at the one in the center engages all 3. Its still the lights that don't all engage together. Like I said, the fans on/off and speed controls work flawlessly regardless where I stand, its something screwy with the lights only.

IMO I would not use one receiver to operate all three fans

That's the way I feel but I don't know why it is a bad idea unless the fans have some sort of limit on the output voltage or something. Can you explain why you wouldn't do it?

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The fan modules do not have manual dip switches. Only the remotes do. This means they are auto-sensing. Most modern remote-fans are moving to this technology. 5 years ago most fans had dip switches on both sides, but "smarter" technology is being pushed now in more expensive applications. The modules on this auto-sensing fans do not have a door that slides off to reveal dip switches. It is sealed and encased and not meant to be taken apart.
I have not yet seen these autosensing paddle fans, all the ones I've hung have dip switches both at the remote and at the receiver. In various rooms always set different settings on dip switches to prevent fan being controlled by remote in next room. So what prevents this situation with autosensing modules?

Gac66610

That's the way I feel but I don't know why it is a bad idea unless the fans have some sort of limit on the output voltage or something. Can you explain why you wouldn't do it?

the reason for not , just my opinion, may be fine to do so

Took a look at the Ellington fans, my GC's would never put anything that pricey into a one of their homes, they do look nice however.

The question I would have on tying them together, is there a wire coming from the fans remote to to do this? maybe i misread, or misunderstood

are you trying to get them all working with one remote, or was that just an option?

kwired

Electron manager

I've done that. I've tried standing in different places but under the center fan doesn't engage all three. Only standing back about 6 feet and pointing at the one in the center engages all 3. Its still the lights that don't all engage together. Like I said, the fans on/off and speed controls work flawlessly regardless where I stand, its something screwy with the lights only.

If they are "auto setup" why not connect only one fan to power at a time and set it to its remote, disconnect it and do same with second and then third, then you will not have any mix up of which is programmed to which remote.

I myself would prefer to have a wall switch even if used for speed control for all three units at once but sometimes you have to do what customer wants. I hate remotes, pretty soon you have a big bag full of them and can't remember what most of them are for or they get lost and you can't control the device without them. They are OK for television and occasional other items but not needed for fan controls and lighting controls in most applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.