MV Pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So how does one determine where splicing/pull points would take place in a pull. FOr instance on the attached it's a 900' run with three manholes and bends. THe routing is in bluee.
Do the contract documents permit a splice. I wouldn't permit one if I were writing the specs.

mstrlucky74

You can use one or more intermediate pull points without splicing. You just need room to lay out the wire at each intermediate point.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ok. How much room would you need of you were pulling in 12 sets of 3#500's but I'm also guessing you would never pull in 12 sets at.once obviously. How many sets would be practical to pull in at once? Thx.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Go out to the warehouse and try to bend 500mcm then think of 3-4 of them laying on the ground, also being MV they will be stiffer and weighs more.

mstrlucky74

Sounds like a very though pull through 4" PVC. One pull consists of 2000 lbs of CU, or 1000 lbs. of AL. Like someone suggested, get some of the stuff in your hands and see how easy if bends.
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks . BTW one set would be pull at a time correct?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks . BTW one set would be pull at a time correct?

I would start with one pull and watch the pulling force. If the tuggers can pull more than twice that amount, I would move up to two sets.

Old PVC is not fun to pull through.

We pulled about 400" 350 mcm copper MV shielded cable through 6" RMC with only a couple 90's and it was brutal.

mstrlucky74

I would start with one pull and watch the pulling force. If the tuggers can pull more than twice that amount, I would move up to two sets.

Old PVC is not fun to pull through.

We pulled about 400" 350 mcm copper MV shielded cable through 6" RMC with only a couple 90's and it was brutal.
Thanks. So these pulls could be real difficult potentially? Just because they will go slow?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. So these pulls could be real difficult potentially? Just because they will go slow?

Absolutely.

Sometimes there is no good place to set up tuggers on the pull side, and often no close place to set up reels on the feed side. The pulls can bind up half way through and max out the tuggers or the heads will pull off. I have seen the chains holding tuggers down burst under the force of the pull.

The difference between how much it costs for a crew that has done large pulls and just a group of electricians that have never done it can make or break the pull.

mstrlucky74

Absolutely.

Sometimes there is no good place to set up tuggers on the pull side, and often no close place to set up reels on the feed side. The pulls can bind up half way through and max out the tuggers or the heads will pull off. I have seen the chains holding tuggers down burst under the force of the pull.

The difference between how much it costs for a crew that has done large pulls and just a group of electricians that have never done it can make or break the pull.
Wow incredibly valuable info. If this is outside and mostly wide open don't see an issue with setting up the tuggers.

mstrlucky74

It is a common practice for contractors that know what they are doing. I have done many over 1200 though underground ducts and manholes.
So important I guess to have guys who have done these pulls before. Wouldn't just a foreman who has done these type of pulls before suffice as he would direct the men?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Nothing beats experience, one poor guy ? RUNNING from manhole to manhole to manhole because radios don't work if the people your talking to don't understand what your saying due to lack of experience.
You do know that wire weighs 1lbs./1'+, right?
You need ~3 guys at the reels, guys at the manholes, guy on the chugger, guy slapping the goo, one of the men need to know how to make a head.
Now the head comes out of the first manhole what do you do?
How clean do you need to keep the wire?
Do you have all the pulling gear needed?
Manholes full of water, need pumps and generators?
Manholes have trays, what route to take at each manhole?
Got your ppe/ safety gear, sniffer, cpr guy?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So important I guess to have guys who have done these pulls before. Wouldn't just a foreman who has done these type of pulls before suffice as he would direct the men?

Just a foreman that knows will work, but it is better to have guys that know too.

Don't forget all of the non-productive man hours that will be required for the confined space entries into the manholes. Also note that some owners do not permit manhole entry if any of the existing medium voltage conductors are energized.

mstrlucky74

Just a foreman that knows will work, but it is better to have guys that know too.

Don't forget all of the non-productive man hours that will be required for the confined space entries into the manholes. Also note that some owners do not permit manhole entry if any of the existing medium voltage conductors are energized.

Thanks. No wire in any of the dut banks/manholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.