MWBC 210.4 (B) and 210.4(C) ex2 - Test Prep book error or Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Back to Larry in #17, IMO test questions tend to try to confuse the student rather than assess one's knowledge of the code. I am not just opining about the NEC.
In MY opinion, the code test should be about your ability to use the code book, not to memorize it.

Having declared that as law, the exceptions are part of the code, and should be included in testing.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Looking back at the original question:
Multiwire branch circuits shall______
a. supply only line-neutral loads
b. not be permitted in dwelling units
c. have their conductors originate from different panel boards
d. none of these

I believe the issue is that we're being too smart for our own good. ;)
I think the key to what they want is that they placed an underline where you're just supposed to fill in the blank with the words necessary to complete that sentence of the code verbatim.
If they used a colon instead of the underlined part then I can see it being a more general question extending beyond just that one sentence.

But if this is what the the test makers want then they should make it clear in the test instructions that underlining represents missing words within the code that need to be filled in. Otherwise, people who have a broader understanding of the code may be penalized.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Why would a question include the text of the exception. That would give away the answer...NO???
I agree, but I feel the exceptions are part of the rule. In reality MWBC supply line to line loads often. So when you read the question and think about applications, option "A" does not make sense because I could give many code compliant examples where MWBC supply both.

OR I agree with what Larry wrote earlier. Perhaps the code should absorb those 2 exceptions into the requirement or the definition.

kwired

Electron manager
In MY opinion, the code test should be about your ability to use the code book, not to memorize it.

Having declared that as law, the exceptions are part of the code, and should be included in testing.
That is what I was taught. Exceptions are part of the code.

What is not part of the code is informational notes, formerly known as fine print notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.