MWBC 210.4 (B) and 210.4(C) ex2 - Test Prep book error or Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion, if exceptions apply in the field, they should apply when testing to qualify to work in the field.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In my opinion, if exceptions apply in the field, they should apply when testing to qualify to work in the field.
So do I but that won't get you, me, or anybody else a passing grade if the test doesn't see it our way.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always did poorly on exams because I would mess with the exceptions. I wish I had talked to Smart$ earlier in my life...hahaha

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I always did poorly on exams because I would mess with the exceptions. I wish I had talked to Smart$ earlier in my life...hahaha
I remember in Tom Henry's exam prep he points this out in the preface I believe.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To me this question as written is flawed as it does not indicate whether you should include the exceptions. In licensing exams these types of questions lead to exam challenges. It should have indicated whether you are to consider Exceptions.
I agree, it should say "without exception" if they do not want you to include the exceptions. The exceptions are part of the code just like the main rule.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Have you contacted anyone in the Home Office for an explanation? You will probably get a better answer straight from the source.

Roger

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
No I have not simply because I viewed it as a typical test question. I was randomly doing questions just to prove myself to myself and was surprise I was wrong since I selected D. So looked it up and was then curious to hear the opinions of people here.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Does Mike include any advice in the preface or introduction?

Roger

mikeames

Occupation
Does Mike include any advice in the preface or introduction?

Roger
I skimmed through that and it refers to rounding as in 220.5(B), but I did not see any mention regarding exceptions. They do provide an email specifically for corrections or comments about questions. I may just use that email to contact them. A picture of the book is below.

Thanks,
Mike Ames
2017_Electrical_Exam_Preparation_textbook_17EXB-large.png

kwired

Electron manager
It would be with the exception but you didn't say if the exception was part of the testing or instructions for the testing.

Roger
I don't like that approach, it is tricky.

Testing is to show you know how to use the code, exceptions are part of the code.

When asked if you can do something in a certain way often the answer can be "yes, but only if these certain conditions apply or are followed:..." Exceptions in the code are what allows those certain conditions quite often.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A good example is a question such as..."what is the maximum circuit breaker size for #12 thwn?" A beginning is more than likely going to respond 20 amps but we all know that a #12 could be protected by a larger breaker in certain situations. IMO, the answer would be 20 amps given
a) 15 amps
b) 20 amps
c) 25 amps
d) 30 amps

We can all say it is a poorly worded question but we do know which answer fits the general rule.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't like that approach, it is tricky.

It doesn't matter if you or I like it or not. When you start an exam if the instructions or monitor tells you to exclude the exceptions that's what you do. If the particular exam includes the exceptions and you are instructed to do so that's what you do. I look forward to what the OP hears from Mike.
[/QUOTE]

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've taken several licensing exams and the correct answers are often in the exceptions where they try to trick you into thinking the question is just asking about the general rule.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Back to Larry in #17, IMO test questions tend to try to confuse the student rather than assess one's knowledge of the code. I am not just opining about the NEC.

mikeames

Occupation
Here was Mikes Response. I was most interested in the application of the exception.

Mike Holt said:
For a question to have an exception apply, the question must include the text of the exception. For the exception to app, you are required to have a two-pole breaker, not two single-pole breakers with a handle tie. This is because two single-pole breakers with handle tie does not ensure that the two poles will open simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.