MWC on Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
120713-1252 EDT

For easy reference here is a copy of the original post:
Would it be a bad design to run a 12-3 MWC to a room for computers on 1 circuit and large printers/plotter machines (motors) on the other circuit? I'm concerned that this may cause some sort of unwanted noise on the computer circuits. Mr. T

kwire:

I agree if one MWC is supplied to the room the implication is that one EGC is common for the majority of the path, and that for most conditions won't create a problem with respect to the EGC. My comments were meant to show what happens if non-common neutrals were used.

What do large printers and plotters mean in the OP? I doubt a 1 HP motor is in the printer or plotter, but we need more information on what the real loads are expected to be.

If the printer is a large Xerox production book printer, then it might even require 240, or 3 phase.

Depending upon the equipment neutral harmonic content consideration is needed. Your comment on the open neutral does suggest a reason to avoid an MWC.

iwire:

I have a small Epson printer with USB communication and a 3 prong AC plug.

In one spot I have 4 desktop computers and an HP LaserJet 5 Si MX all on the same 20 A circuit. The heater in this printer is mostly an on-off device with large power spikes for short durations. I have no problems from the voltage variations from these pulse power loads, and no need for multiple circuits.

Unless a communication path signal has built in isolation it almost certainly is referenced to the machine chassis, and thus to the EGC. True of big CNC machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.