My electrician friend was fatally injured - working hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Yep, arc in open air makes a big difference, plus they are usually doing hotstick work. I agree with you on the intended scope of the 70E but most utillities require thier workers to comply with the requirements, why wouldnt they?

Sad moment

Sad moment

Ben Franklin is said to have let himself be zapped by lightning, or maybe slightly attenuated lightning. We don't need anymore pioneers like that, however, and I share everyone's sympathy for the loss of any and all electrical workers.

The Master Electrician I was happy to have on staff as a public works director was a model worker and a model of safety with lock-out/tag-out and all. Yet he reached into a live 480 panel once that appeared to have lots of clearance to what he wanted to touch and got the 480 shock that those who have had one and come back from it never ever want to do it again. He's a very level headed and not into metaphysics (he'll go with the theory and practice in an EE book over that) but he describes the incident as other-worldly as I have heard others describe. Almost like he was hypnotized into getting close to the wire and unable to think himself out of it before the zap.

240 VAC experiences are enough for me. Fortunately our electrician recovered completely after several days of strange feelings in his arm (and the type of guy that would still come to work during a recovery like this).

Anyhow, best regards to all on this forum and to all who work with electricity wishing them always to have safe experiences and safe practices paramount.

Status
Not open for further replies.