Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
So it was a "10DI" link. The first lineman let me take a picture...

i-cbf2kfk-XL.jpg

And I have no idea how to tell if the new can is Completely Self Protected? Is there a physical feature that would tell you? The best picture I can get of the label looks like this...

i-PMKD52G-XL.jpg

If a transformer has an internal primary fuse, I assume that's not field serviceable? Just curious. Almost every transformer I see on a pole around here in MD has a cutout fuse. At least I think so.

Thanks all for the information.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Take a pic of the nameplate. It will tell all.

The internal fuse is not serviceable. There are two if I remember right, a primary and a back-up current limiting fuse for hard faults. The back-up fuses limits the short circuit energy in the can if I'm correct reducing the odds of the lid blowing off or oil going everywhere.

CSP units usually have a lever near the LV bushings.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
Take a pic of the nameplate. It will tell all.

The internal fuse is not serviceable. There are two if I remember right, a primary and a back-up current limiting fuse for hard faults. The back-up fuses limits the short circuit energy in the can if I'm correct reducing the odds of the lid blowing off or oil going everywhere.

CSP units usually have a lever near the LV bushings.

I see no lever on the side with the LV bushings, just a bonding strap...
i-cHn67KN-XL.jpg

After you mentioned the nameplate, I realized I was taking a picture of an ordering label. I assume the nameplate is that black label on the bottom bracket for the pole mount - it's partly visible in my post #23. That's a tomorrow problem for sure, getting that picture. Sure would have been easier to snap that picture while it was on the ground ;)

Thanks kindly again for the info.

kwired

Electron manager
i-cHn67KN-XL.jpg

After you mentioned the nameplate, I realized I was taking a picture of an ordering label. I assume the nameplate is that black label on the bottom bracket for the pole mount - it's partly visible in my post #23. That's a tomorrow problem for sure, getting that picture. Sure would have been easier to snap that picture while it was on the ground ;)

I don't think that one has a lever, if it does it is probably a little further around the right side in that image. Lever will have a loop so it can be operated with a hook-stick.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
i-cHn67KN-XL.jpg

Yes, the black label will tell all! In so far not a CSP as I can tell. I have a soft spot for that red overload light.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, the black label will tell all! In so far not a CSP as I can tell. I have a soft spot for that red overload light.

I promise I will let this post die after this ;) But MBrooke mentioned about the label, and I went to the trouble of getting a ladder to snap a picture so...
i-w9Tnd2Q-XL.jpg

Don't see any mention of "CSP", just an Oil Natural Air Natural designation (ONAN). I assume this is just a boring old 25 kVA 7620 -> 120/240 pot.
Did not see a lever anywhere, and certainly no Rudolph The Red Nosed Overload Light.

Quick question... I understand the 2 schematics at the bottom, the right side is more standard for 120/240V but you could put both halves of the secondary in parallel to get 2x the current for 120V only (as shown on the left). But how do you rewire it? Do you have to take the top off? Are the connections inside buried under oil? And would this 120V re-wire be fairly unusual to do in the field?

Again, thanks all for the answers. Interesting stuff to me at any rate.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Its a typical unit, none CSP, 7620 volts primary, You take the lid off to reconfigure the secondary leads leading up to the LV bushings on the other side. 120 only is for 120/208Y banks.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
BTW, now do you see why they consider the incoming service "unfused"? 10 amp fuse with time current curve that starts at about 20 amps. You would have to load the bank well over 150kva to blow something quickly.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
i-w9Tnd2Q-XL.jpg

Quick question... I understand the 2 schematics at the bottom, the right side is more standard for 120/240V but you could put both halves of the secondary in parallel to get 2x the current for 120V only (as shown on the left). But how do you rewire it? Do you have to take the top off? Are the connections inside buried under oil? And would this 120V re-wire be fairly unusual to do in the field.
No. We do it daily.
ask any lineman about “alley cat, bad dog”

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
BTW, now do you see why they consider the incoming service "unfused"? 10 amp fuse with time current curve that starts at about 20 amps. You would have to load the bank well over 150kva to blow something quickly.

Yes, I do. Yikes - if I am reading those curves correctly, you'd need to draw ~45A to open that 10 amp fuse in 1 sec. That's almost 14x the rating of the transformer. Clearly the fuse is for serious problems and they are happy to let the pot ride out small overloads like you pointed out earlier. And when mine let go on Friday, that kind of energy "input" likely let some serious heat build up. Can't fault the oil for wanting to find its way out of Dodge.

And yes, I now understand how the 120 only is for building a 3 phase bank, I assume it would have to built as Wye-Wye, since this transformer has one side of the primary grounded to the can? Whereas a Delta primary would need pots with 2 floating bushings?

No. We do it daily.
ask any lineman about “alley cat, bad dog”

I like the Mnemonic! Easy to remember. I had assumed that you would not take the cover off out in the field, thinking moisture and humidity might make the manufacturer fret and lose sleep. Clearly I worry too much ;)

Thanks all again for the replies. I learned a lot on Friday and from this thread. I especially enjoyed finding out how the fuse works and drops out mechanically. Nothing like holding it in your hand to see how it operates.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes, I do. Yikes - if I am reading those curves correctly, you'd need to draw ~45A to open that 10 amp fuse in 1 sec. That's almost 14x the rating of the transformer. Clearly the fuse is for serious problems and they are happy to let the pot ride out small overloads like you pointed out earlier. And when mine let go on Friday, that kind of energy "input" likely let some serious heat build up. Can't fault the oil for wanting to find its way out of Dodge.

A bolted fault on the secondary would produce 193 amps on the primary if I'm doing the math right- but the secondary service adds significant impedance to that.

See page 6:

And yes, I now understand how the 120 only is for building a 3 phase bank, I assume it would have to built as Wye-Wye, since this transformer has one side of the primary grounded to the can? Whereas a Delta primary would need pots with 2 floating bushings?

Yup, wye-wye. Delta would need two bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.