Nail Plate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenBuckland

Occupation
LV Electrician
Inspector has raised the issue that if a cable enters a box in the knockout hole closest to a stud then an offset nail plate is required to protect the cable? Other option is to move cable to outside knockout and fire calk the opened inside knockout. Thoughts?
52664977947_653fd22abf_b.jpg

including low voltage - wants these protected by nail plate or moved to outside knockout and unused knockout fire caulked.
52665774049_89a0aba775_c.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've heard inspectors say that it's required but IMO it is not. It's a condition of the installation that the cable is close to the edge of the stud due to the KO in the box.

farmantenna

I feel sorry for you for having a sht head inspector. He's flashing the what if card. I've had cabinet installers miss the stud and screw into a wire properly installed. Why are all our plastic boxes UL listed if the cable openings can place the cable closer than 1-1/4". Why is there a cable opening close to the stud?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I've heard inspectors say that it's require but IMO it is not. It's a condition of the installation that the cable is close to the edge of the stud due to the KO in the box.
As the code gets heavier and heavier, there are several things that I don't agree with, but us peons don't really matter. Given the wording of the code, I don't see how you can take the position that it isn't required, other than that the code is wrong. The cable is within 1 1/4" of the edge and run parallels. Not any more ridiculous than requiring the first strap 12" from the box on a box mounted in the middle of 24" on center studs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As the code gets heavier and heavier, there are several things that I don't agree with, but us peons don't really matter. Given the wording of the code, I don't see how you can take the position that it isn't required, other than that the code is wrong. The cable is within 1 1/4" of the edge and run parallels. Not any more ridiculous than requiring the first strap 12" from the box on a box mounted in the middle of 24" on center studs.
IMO even if technically correct it's nit picking and no inspector around here would require the protection. Funny because you use a steel plate to protect the few inches of cable yet a screw from a screw gun will go right through the plastic box. :rolleyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It sucks to get called on that but if I had to deal with it I would just add a nail plate and be done with it. I would probably mount the plate 90° from what you did and just catch one side on the stud.

One hundred plus boxes is alot of extra nail plates.

I feel sorry for you for having a sht head inspector. He's flashing the what if card.
It’s an attitude like that which hardens positions. I’ve been on both sides of the code issue, as an inspector and as a contractor. Yes, inspectors can get a reputation for being hard-nosed and nit-picking, but guess what? Contractors get reputations too, and they will stick with you for your entire career. An inspector will quickly learn who he can trust to fix an issue after a phone call, and which guy he will need to go back and reinspect every single time.

Try a friendlier approach and you’ll probably find out that there’s probably a lot more going on here than you realize. Maybe the inspector’s boss set new rules after a fire or injury. Maybe the county attorney said that the department was caught up in a lawsuit for something similar. Maybe the department is so short staffed that they are sending out inspectors without any field experience.

Tired of seeing new inspectors as if there’s a revolving door at the building department? Then don’t be part of the problem, be part of the solution. A friendly discussion over a cup of coffee might get him to see both sides and relax a bit. Driving down to his office and screaming at his boss will keep the revolving door spinning. Explaining that you’ve seen a lot of codes evolve for the better over the years might get him to agree that a lot have evolved for the worse. Asking for alternatives or how other electricians are doing things will open up a friendlier conversation. Name calling won’t. Saying “Hey, there’s a box of donuts over on the table, help yourself” (seriously) goes a long way towards breaking the ice, and no, it’s not a bribe, it’s recognizing him as another human being. After a while you might be chatting about how his vacation was instead of arguing over the rational of a code requirement. These days everyone’s positions are so hardened that the everyday stress is becoming overwhelming for all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.