Nail plate the back of a plastic box ???? Really???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It enters the box within 1 1/4" of the edge of the stud or joist.

It says "installed" parallel. That means where it is attached.

Not my job to protect from stupid. Yes the nails went through the wires.

View attachment 7255

So don't use the cable entry that is within 1-1/4 inch of the stud then. Or use a 1-1/4 inch or thicker block to move the box away from the stud.

If not your job to protect from stupid, did you make them replace the cables?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So don't use the cable entry that is within 1-1/4 inch of the stud then. Or use a 1-1/4 inch or thicker block to move the box away from the stud.

If not your job to protect from stupid, did you make them replace the cables?

It's still a nailing surface.

Did the inspection not the install.

kwired

Electron manager
It's still a nailing surface.

Did the inspection not the install.

Do drywallers make sure they put screws into every available block of wood within the wall to secure the drywall or do they just try to hit the common studs? I think that is most of what the intention of the 1-1/4 inch rules are for is where wall coverings are commonly attached, could it be better written - maybe. 1-1/4 inches doesn't even come close to protecting cables from when a cabinet installer uses 3 inch screws to hang cabinets. A wise electrician learns to avoid installing cables through studs in areas where cabinets will be hung. Is there risk of this 3 inch screw damaging a cable along side a stud - yes, but not as great as it is if cable is through the stud, when cabinet installer penetrates the drywall and realizes he is missing stud - he probably backs it out and tries a different spot.

I figured you did the inspection and not the install. I asked if you made them replace the cables since it is not your job to protect from stupid. Apparently the installer did their job correctly, but then along came stupid and still messed things up:)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Don't think it's just the NM on the stud, he is saying the back of the plastic boxes that are closer than 1-1/4" need to be covered by a plate. This means use a 4sq. blank to cover the back of most plastic boxes.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't think it's just the NM on the stud, he is saying the back of the plastic boxes that are closer than 1-1/4" need to be covered by a plate. This means use a 4sq. blank to cover the back of most plastic boxes.

Are we speaking of 300.4 because I read it as pertaining to the cable or raceway. So how is the box a cable or raceway? It is part of the system but it is not either a cable or a raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are we speaking of 300.4 because I read it as pertaining to the cable or raceway. So how is the box a cable or raceway? It is part of the system but it is not either a cable or a raceway.

The problem is the cable enters the box closer than 1.25" from the front edge of the stud.

kwired

Electron manager
acrwc10
Don't think it's just the NM on the stud, he is saying the back of the plastic boxes that are closer than 1-1/4" need to be covered by a plate. This means use a 4sq. blank to cover the back of most plastic boxes.​

The problem is the cable enters the box closer than 1.25" from the front edge of the stud.

Besides if one can put nails or screws through back side of panelboard and into bus what good is the 4sq. blank plate;)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

If you use the far side cable entry then is clears. I do not see where the cable must be also 1 1/4 to the right or left of the face of the stud. The moment the cable bends away from the stud to enter the box it is no longer running paralell to it. Just make a sheeps hook before entering and you should be OK. At least until the code is changed

Status
Not open for further replies.