Nail Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred4051

I was called on a service call, with a fire alarm system in trouble, Located the problem to be in an attic that was being renovated. The Carpentor had installed nail plates ON! the wiring and bent the ends of the nail plates down to meet the attic joices, then install plywood. I know that is not correct, although I can not find any articals that would instruct this tradesman not do do this. He explained to me that the Lowe's Store told him to do it that way. Is there any written instructions that would instruct not to do that?

Thank you for you help

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fred, welcome to the forum! :)

Code (which generally protects wires) aside, simple common sense would say to cut a shallow groove for the wiring first, lay the wire in the groove, then cover with the plate.

Unfortunately, common sense isn't. :roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Larry stated the wood joists should have been notched first.

Welcome to the forum. :)

(A) Cables and Raceways Through Wood Members.
(1) Bored Holes. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed through bored holes in joists, rafters, or wood members, holes shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less than 32 mm (1? in.) from the nearest edge of the wood member. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by screws or nails by a steel plate(s) or bushing(s), at least 1.6 mm ( in.) thick, and of appropriate length and width installed to cover the area of the wiring.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than 1.6 mm ( in.) thick that provides equal or better protection against nail or screw penetration shall be permitted.
(2) Notches in Wood. Where there is no objection because of weakening the building structure, in both exposed and concealed locations, cables or raceways shall be permitted to be laid in notches in wood studs, joists, rafters, or other wood members where the cable or raceway at those points is protected against nails or screws by a steel plate at least 1.6 mm ( in.) thick, and of appropriate length and width, installed to cover the area of the wiring. The steel plate shall be installed before the building finish is applied.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than 1.6 mm ( in.) thick that provides equal or better protection against nail or screw penetration shall be permitted.

tkb

I was called on a service call, with a fire alarm system in trouble, Located the problem to be in an attic that was being renovated. The Carpentor had installed nail plates ON! the wiring and bent the ends of the nail plates down to meet the attic joices, then install plywood. I know that is not correct, although I can not find any articals that would instruct this tradesman not do do this. He explained to me that the Lowe's Store told him to do it that way. Is there any written instructions that would instruct not to do that?

Thank you for you help

Then it's OK.
After all they are experts. :roll:

resistance

I guess we can ask them if they are iwire, resistance, mike holt, etc etc. before getting a question answered........LOL!!! ;):D

kwired

Electron manager
I was going to say this, but guess what. Some professionals on this site are taking jobs at the big box stores (Economy is in the trash). So should we still call them (Lowes employees) idiots.

The guy that went ahead and did this without having someone qualified look at it is the idiot.

The guy at the store may not necessarily have had things explained properly to him either, not that I feel this is a good place to go for information for electrical, plumbing, or construction help.

kwired

Electron manager
I doubt that the "Carpentor" is required to even follow the NEC.

He is not required to follow NEC for his normal line of work, he did however decide to work with the alarm system and in the end resulted in damaging the system and he should be involved in the resolution of the problem - primarily with his checkbook.

He is guilty of wiring without license/permit or what ever the local requirements are. The people at lowes should have told him to call someone qualified to work on it.

At the very least he should be notified of what he did and what trouble was caused so that maybe he will think twice before doing something like that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.