NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE - 2023 Public Input, Correction #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
200.6(A)(9) All grounded conductors shall be identified with their circuit numbers at each junction box to prevent the overloading of grounded conductors and the "Phantom" tripping of AFCI/GFCI caused by crossed grounded conductors. All markings shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE - 2023 Proposed Amendment, Correction #5.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 11

mtnelect

Occupation
this kind of thing is nuts. if the electricians who are doing the wiring do not know enough to not be crossing the grounded conductors they should have their licenses revoked and someone competent should be hired to do the work in their place.

This is the most common question posed on this forum. Why is my AFCI/GFCI always tripping ?
This was never a problem until these devices were required in the code.
I don't think I would call an electrician incompetent, just unaware of the problem.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
200.6(A)(9) All grounded conductors shall be identified with their circuit numbers at each junction box to prevent the overloading of grounded conductors and the "Phantom" tripping of AFCI/GFCI caused by crossed grounded conductors. All markings shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.
Have you ever done any real wiring or just HVAC work?

For engineered commercial work the circuit numbers will frequently be known. For residential and smaller commercial projects the circuit numbers get figured out when the panels get made up at the end of the project. Not when the wiring get pulled.

Requiring numbers on the conductors is nonsense.

mtnelect

Occupation
Have you ever done any real wiring or just HVAC work?

For engineered commercial work the circuit numbers will frequently be known. For residential and smaller commercial projects the circuit numbers get figured out when the panels get made up at the end of the project. Not when the wiring get pulled.

Requiring numbers on the conductors is nonsense.
What I am proposing is the same requirements on grounded circuits as ungrounded circuits. Identification for Branch Circuits Section 210.5(C). With the introduction of GFCI, this has always been a problem on my service calls and this Forum.
I went through the Inside Wireman Apprenticeship at the IBEW Local 11, in 1974. Started my contracting business in 1976.

Last edited:

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What I am proposing is the same requirements on grounded circuits as ungrounded circuits. Identification for Branch Circuits Section 210.5(C). With the introduction of GFCI, this has always been a problem on my service calls and this Forum.
I went through the Inside Wireman Apprenticeship at the IBEW Local 11, in 1974. Started my contracting business in 1976.
Then the lack of requirement makes you money.

Most times I have come across blue wirenut nuetrals it's in DIY or handy hack work. This wouldn't stop that. If it's from a job that was done by real electricians then they usually only have 1 or 2 spots messed up in a multigang with 3 ways. Again 20 min or so and all is well.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
200.4(B) already addresses this issue and there is ZERO need for an additional requirement.
There is nothing in 210.5(C) that requires circuit number type of identification. It only requires identification by phase and voltage.

mtnelect

Occupation

200.4(B) already addresses this issue and there is ZERO need for an additional requirement.
There is nothing in 210.5(C) that requires circuit number type of identification. It only requires identification by phase and voltage.

What I am concerned about is that neutrals are not used for more than one branch circuit, or for more than one branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder conductors unless specifically elsewhere in this code.

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE - 2023 Proposed Amendment, Correction #6.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 5

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
@mtnelect I think your intentions are golden, but from my experience with residential work in the state of California, I think the crux of your issue is the grand canyon sized "General B" contractor loop hole. Everyone in the electrical industry in CA would greatly benefit from a state law that requires anyone and everyone preforming an electrical installation to have a individual license for the scope of the install, not just the C10, and regardless of the amount of money that changes hands (EDIT: unless its one working on their own home) . I bet with that you would see this issue greatly reduced.

Last edited:

mtnelect

Occupation
In real life ... crawling in the attic or under the house, this is a lot of fun. You find a junction box, pull the cover off. What do you see, a lot of wires. So you pick a couple of wires, and you are done.

mtnelect

Occupation
@mtnelect I think your intentions are golden, but from my experience with residential work in the state of California, I think the crux of your issue is the grand canyon sized "General B" contractor loop hole. Everyone in the electrical industry in CA would greatly benefit from a state law that requires anyone and everyone preforming an electrical installation to have a individual license for the scope of the install, not just the C10, and regardless of the amount of money that changes hands (EDIT: unless its their own home) . I bet with that you would see this issue greatly reduced.

I really respect your well thought out comments !

mtnelect

Occupation
This is a great forum that Mike Holt has taken the responsibility to launch. Mr. Holt has provided a forum for us in this industry to express our thoughts and made us stronger for it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
@mtnelect I think your intentions are golden, but from my experience with residential work in the state of California, I think the crux of your issue is the grand canyon sized "General B" contractor loop hole. Everyone in the electrical industry in CA would greatly benefit from a state law that requires anyone and everyone preforming an electrical installation to have a individual license for the scope of the install, not just the C10, and regardless of the amount of money that changes hands (EDIT: unless its one working on their own home) . I bet with that you would see this issue greatly reduced.
I'd only be in favor of such a law if it included amnesty for anyone who has lately been doing electrical without certification for a C10, B, C46, etc. Right now the law and bureaucracy discourage being above-board. Heck, if the state would produce free video training courses for new hires like some manufacturers do for product certification, employers might actually see it as a benefit.

Also I've seen plenty of C10s doing awful hack work.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I'd only be in favor of such a law if it included amnesty for anyone who has lately been doing electrical without certification for a C10, B, C46, etc.
I could see changing every reference of 'C10' in the law to "C7, C10 or C46" but I would stop short of general B.
You could also cut the OJT in 291.1(2) a little for the year it takes effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.