NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE - 2023 Public Input, Correction #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

So , with all the fairly unnecessary changes we see in the years since oh, lets pick the year arc faults first became required for dwelling bedrooms (1990 NEC) and they were a ten to twenty five year horrible mess, don't you feel that the NEC ought to be contributing a large portion of their budget to at least informing public and general contractor associations of the need to expect larger charges for all the new waste impositions they are slamming the trade with? Look at the newest kitchen island standards and tell me that suddenly it's not such a hot idea to mount receptacle outlets in the side walls of islands , but for around 40 yrs now it seemed to be the second most (or thereabouts) so called violation and absolute horror in the eyes of the inspection authorities if you left one out. I suppose I could keep going but rant over............

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What I am concerned about is that neutrals are not used for more than one branch circuit, or for more than one branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder conductors unless specifically elsewhere in this code.
So the installer will look at your proposed circuit number but not look at the currently required identification of what neutral goes with what ungrounded conductor???? I think the option to bundle is far far more effective than any circuit number. I still see ZERO need for any additional identification.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So the installer will look at your proposed circuit number but not look at the currently required identification of what neutral goes with what ungrounded conductor???? I think the option to bundle is far far more effective than any circuit number. I still see ZERO need for any additional identification.
My favorite way to bundle solid thhn is to twist them together for 6 inches it makes for quick identification especially if there is poor lighting by the panel. If it was required to number anyways I think I'd still do the same method just because it works.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired

I agree with your solution. I will change my proposal to bundling.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with your solution. I will change my proposal to bundling.
So you are going to remove "wire markers" from the current rule?
200.4(B) Multiple Circuits.
Where more than one neutral conductor associated with different circuits is in an enclosure, grounded circuit conductors of each circuit shall be identified or grouped to correspond with the ungrounded circuit conductor(s) by wire markers, cable ties, or similar means in at least one location within the enclosure.
I know you were making the PI to 200.6, but that is the identification of the conductor as a grounded conductor and has nothing to do with what circuit that grounded conductor maybe associated with. I think the current rule very clearly accomplishes what you are trying to do.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
So you are going to remove "wire markers" from the current rule?

I know you were making the PI to 200.6, but that is the identification of the conductor as a grounded conductor and has nothing to do with what circuit that grounded conductor maybe associated with. I think the current rule very clearly accomplishes what you are trying to do.
I agree with you again, I will withdraw my proposal. I was trying to solve a problem by making it more difficult !

Status
Not open for further replies.