National Electrical Code Handbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe tedesco

This is a carry over from another thread that was discussing another subject where the NECH? was mentioned.

Question: How many members of this forum have a copy of the Official National Electrical Code Handbook??

Question: Do you also have the CD version?

Question: Have you found them useful when studying for an examination, or when making decisions at work, or in the field, and have you found anything that you disagree with in the commentary?

Question: Did you send that information to NFPA??

You can send your comments to me too if you want, and I will put them in the right hands.

joetedesco@joetedesco.com

I for one have some very fond experiences as an Associate Editor for the 1984 NECH?

Pete Schram, John Caloggero and I spent most of our time researching, checking with the Chairmen of the Committees, and Correlating Committee, and adding some of our own personal experiences to that commentary, and that was BC, "Before Laptop or Desktop Computers"

Today we have it easy!

I can carry the Handbook around on a computer that fits in my pocket!

It wasn't easy during the early 80's and before, and we had to read and edit stacks of paper till our eyes were bloodshot!

Question: If you feel that the NECH? is of no value, do you have suggestions for its improvement?

I have every copy of the NECH? from the beginning and have other handbooks in my library that were formatted in the same way as far back as 1915.

Please answer the questions and add any other comments you feel necessary.

PS: I am always interested in old electrical books.

[ August 09, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: joe tedesco ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: National Electrical Code Handbook?

Joe
I prefer form my own opinions based on the information in the ROPs and ROC and haven't bought a handbook for the last 2 code cycles. In past years when I did buy handbooks, I found the McGraw Hill one far superior to the NFPA one, especially the ones that were edited by Joe McPartland. The most important thing that everyone needs to remember is that these hand books are not the official interpretation of the NEC, but only reflect the learned editors opinions. The only official NFPA interpretation is one that is the result of a formal interpretation request. For those who don't have the time to look at the ROPs and ROCs the handbooks are a good source of information.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I got started with Joe McPartlands EC&M handbooks back in 1980. I haven't purchased one for some time, now normally have the NFPA handbook, its usefull if I have a question for an area I am not familar with it gives me a quick start, and the pictures are good as well. But now with Mike Holts Understanding the NEC I may use it, and there is also the new NEC users guide, but it is pretty basic.
The best option is to buy the electronic version of the handbook and then you have the handbook and NEC.

One suggestion would be to have a "history of the code rule" after a while all the code changes seem to run together. For example in section 250.8 indicate that the part on sheet metal screws was added in the 1996 code.

ronaldrc

Hello Joe

RC here I know you probably don't want my input on this.

But I always thought the NEC hand book was a extended version of the original NEC with and the only difference was the highlighted comments and the extra graphics.

But me wiring threeway switches like this what do I know?

http://home.comcast.net/~ronaldrc/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html--SiteID-837830.html

Ronald :)

[ August 09, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

This is a duplicate post, I also posted it here.

The following was sent to me and I was asked to post it here. I appreciate this .

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice Concerning Liability: Publication of this handbook is for the purpose of circulating information and opinion among those concerned for fire and electrical safety and related subjects. While every effort has been made to achieve a work of high quality, neither the NFPA nor the contributors to this handbook guarantee the accuracy or completeness of or assume any liability in connection with the information and opinions contained in this handbook. The NFPA and the contributors shall in no event be liable for any personal injury, property, or other damages of any nature whatsoever, whether special, indirect, consequential, or compensatory, directly or indirectly resulting from the publication, use of, or reliance upon this handbook.
This handbook is published with the understanding that the NFPA and the contributors to this handbook are supplying information and opinion but are not attempting to render engineering or other professional services. If such services are required, the assistance of an appropriate professional should be sought.
Notice Concerning Code Interpretations: This ninth edition of the National Electrical Code? Handbook is based on the 2002 edition of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code. All NFPA codes, standards, recommended practices, and guides are developed in accordance with the published procedures of the NFPA by technical committees comprised of volunteers drawn from a broad array of relevant interests. The handbook contains the complete text of NFPA 70 and any applicable Formal Interpretations issued by the Association. These documents are accompanied by explanatory commentary and other supplementary materials.
The commentary and supplementary materials in this handbook are not a part of the Code and do not constitute Formal Interpretations of the NFPA (which can be obtained only through requests processed by the responsible technical committees in accordance with the published procedures of the NFPA). The commentary and supplementary materials, therefore, solely reflect the personal opinions of the editor or other contributors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its technical committees.
?Registered Trademark National Fire Protection Association, Inc
Roger

joe tedesco

Finally, some humor! :) I have three of those switches installed in my guest house and barn and one string extends across the street to my friends house so he can turn the light off at nite!

True Story, during wartime the Fire Wardens used to use that string to turn off the lights durnig a blackout, I saw that in an old book I found once.

RC send me the index reference to your images so I can do a plan review and look over your collection.

Thanks Tom that a good suggestion how abot a CD Rom of the NEC Report from the 50's on?

;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Sure Joe that would be really usefull. What happens is we loose some of the why a code change was made. For example, we often state the advantges of the "ufer" ground, it must of been added in the early 1960's to the NEC. I have a copy of the orginal Ufer IEEE article, it would be interesting to see the proposal and comments when that grounding electrode system was added to the NEC.

ronaldrc

Hello Joe thanks

I editied the post with the Tn. threeway go back to it and click on the shortcut and when the picture appears click on home and it will go to my little web site storage area.

joe tedesco

RC ... Very nice! Go ahead and take a look here for some stuff to add to your site, we will do the same if that's OK with you:

Code Violations by Joe Tedesco

http://www.joetedesco.com/gallery/code-1

You may comment on the photos at the Gallery. When you are viewing a photo in the Gallery and you want to discuss it in the forum.....

(1) Right click on the photo and then click on "properties".

(2) Highlight and copy the address of the photo.

(3) Paste the address into your post and add the
tag to the end of the address. No Spaces!

Have Fun! Thanks!
;)

joe tedesco

Tom:

I believe my library contains reports as far back as early 1953, so I will look at them and try to find that proposal and information.

I have a copy of an International Association of Electrical Inspectors Interim Report of the American Research Committee on Grounding, in January 1944 (reprinted March 1949).

:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

My company has several copies of the 2002 code and the 2002 handbook, and one copy of the code (not the handbook) on CD. I have found the pictures in the handbook useful (each, of course, being worth a thousand words). But I have not yet found occasion to use the explanations as the basis for any design decisions.

ronaldrc

Charlie and Joe I was just looking through the 2002 handbook check out the motor starter drawing on page 538 the correct way to wire a control circuit.

I know everyone makes mistakes but would you want to be the one that turned that disconnect on?

I wouldn't suggest any one hooking one this way.

[ August 12, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

iwire

Staff member

Ronald can you give the Exhibit number of that drawing, the electronic version has no page numbers. :confused: (that I can find anyway)

Bob

ronaldrc

Bob thought maybe they might have caught it in the electronic version but evidently not.

I seen a electrician get the line and load on a 480 starter crossed years ago in a commercial kitchen and it blew the starter cover clear across the kitchen when they pushed the start button.

engy

Can someone post figure 430-17 from the 2002 NECH?
Is it exactly the same as in the 1996 NECH?

ronaldrc

While were on this subject of the Hand book check out the timing circuit on exhibit 430.7 and tell me if this circuit would work and if so how?

Ronald ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hey Ronald, it might just be me but your link takes me to the comcast login page. :(

Roger

[ August 14, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.